Photoshop clone issue

I normally use two or three adjustment layers with layer masks. Occasionally I find myself unable to do any final cloning on the background layer, despite closing all selections. The only way I can use the clone tool is by flattening the layers. Is this an obvious error by me, or possibly a bug in the program? It's PS CS4.

Just some thoughts here Bryan ...

Once you've chosen a layer, you'll need to make that layer the uppermost one in order to clone all of it - any layers above this will prevent cloning any area covered by any layer above it.

To that end, you can create a copy of the background layer, and work on that rather than the background itself - you can move this to the top as and when you like. Once you're done, (save the image as a PSD in case you change you're mind ....) then move it to the bottom, merge this with the original background.

Not sure if this answers your question, but it may be a starter....

I normally use two or three adjustment layers with layer masks. Occasionally I find myself unable to do any final cloning on the background layer, despite closing all selections. The only way I can use the clone tool is by flattening the layers. Is this an obvious error by me, or possibly a bug in the program? It's PS CS4.

I suspect there is a very simple solution - open the Layers palette and check that you have the background layer selected.

Thanks for the responses. Always have the layers palette open. 

Just carried out an experiment. Opened an image and selected the sky, opened a levels adjustment layer and adjusted. Selected the inverse and then another levels adjustment layer, and adjusted. Finally a curves adjustment layer.

The background layer is marked as "partially locked" but I can still clone anywhere on the image on selecting that layer.

This is normally the case, it is the exception where I can't clone on the background layer, maybe by an incorrect mouse/key press or a bug?  :rolleyes:

Cheers Ian. Don't use a Wacom tablet - perhaps I should do!

Logitech tracker ball, got to love it when working with CAD.

I'll wait  until the lurgy strikes again and report the situation.

Archived