I'm probably the only person on the planet who would try to do this, but just in case there's some other poor soul struggling...

I recently outgrew my hard drive and added a new one. When I tried to import photos from it to Lightroom the Import window refused to acknowledge its existence. I could see every other damn drive on the system including transient portable ones. After much head-scratching and fruitless manual-reading I had a sudden thought: I always give my drives a name and usually set a drive letter to match the name. I called this one Blackwood and set it to B:. What if Lightroom doesn't recognise letters before C:?

So I reset the drive to D: and hey presto, it appeared. I see why Lightroom might do this but I don't agree with it.

Alan

Yes, but then Lightroom should treat them like any other drives for the purposes of input. They're valid drive letters and it shouldn't be up to individual applications to decide that they're not valid.

Alan

I haven't used Windows for some time (especially floppy drives!), but if I recall correctly, A refers to the first floppy drive.  If there is only 1 floppy drive, then B can be used as a virtual drive so that you can swap discs and use the single drive as if there were two drives connected.

Which might explain why software doesn't recognise a B drive.

Or I could be wrong. It has happened.

LR enumerates drives regularly.

I'm struggling to imagine why it would do that, unless you have specified a folder on that drive to be checked for new images. Surely the only other time it would enumerate drives is when you go to the Import screen?

Alan

A and B are reserved for floppy drives-remember them?- for backwards compatibility.  We still have a machine upstairs with both 3 1/2" and 5 1/4" drives.

Yikes - 5 1/4" drives! Do you have the electric start model, or does yours still have the starting handle that goes in the left hand side???

:)

We still have a laptop that runs XP, and takes 3 1/2" floppies.

For safety, it's not allowed on the net for fear it'll catch sommat nasty and infect the entire household.

Archived