How to use the share button on Alamy

I have just found this blog posted on Friday.  I hadn't noticed this feature before so presume it is fairly new but I may be wrong about that.  

From a contributors point of view is it a good thing?  Do we really want anyone to be able to share our images on social media for nothing?  I can't see that they would have to pay.  The image will link back to Alamy but will it lead to more sales or more image theft?

I can understand we might want to share our own images on social media but anyone?

Interested to know what people think.

Pearl

It's a good thing.

When people view your images on the Alamy website do you get paid? Do you get paid for views on your own website? So why should social media be different? It's about getting as much exposure for ourselves and Alamy as possible. That drives traffic to the Alamy website and that is good for all of us. It also builds credibility for Alamy.

Can anyone name a successful creative brand that is rejecting social media, not working with the opportunities it provides? Watch a few of Gary Vaynerchuk's videos to see how to lever social media.

If you don't think social media can be powerful than just look at how it influences elections.

The media buyers of today are the social media generation. If we want some of their money, we have to play in their court.

I've noticed a recent uptick in the number of Alamy watermarked Preview images on FaceBook. These images don't link back to Alamy. They don't include a photographer's credit,  and they're often posted by "photo sharers" who  will probably never license an image.

To make matters worse, people often assume credit goes to the one who lifted the photo. Perhaps these "features" should be limited to registered users.

I also think it is a good thing. 

I uploaded an image to the news feed today,it was just a simple shot of the heavy rain bouncing off a car bonnet. It got taken off the news feed after an hour or so as i guess the image was seen as being borderline between news and stock but i had by then already shared the newsfeed image on my twitter feed. This then lead to me licensing the image myself because the buyer could not find the image on the newsfeed,as others have said social media can be a powerful tool.

I've noticed a recent uptick in the number of Alamy watermarked Preview images on FaceBook. These images don't link back to Alamy. They don't include a photographer's credit,  and they're often posted by "photo sharers" who  will probably never license an image.

To make matters worse, people often assume credit goes to the one who lifted the photo. Perhaps these "features" should be limited to registered users.

Photos shared via the share button always link back to Alamy, and the image size is smaller (1060 × 736px) than the previews on alamy.com. Furthermore, the photo caption is always below the photo, and is not editable or deletable. At least on Facebook and Google+.

If you see images without a link back to Alamy, and without the image caption, then those are just images lifted from alamy.com, not images shared with the share button.

Thank you to those who have responded. Interesting variety of opinions so far.  I guess I am just uncomfortable with the possibility that it may encourage buyers to go to social media for their images, where they could find lots of freebies, rather than coming to Alamy first. Maybe that is the future anyway so Alamy has to get in on the act but I still have reservations.

Pearl

Social Media is a nightmare for image theft.  I'm in a group on FB where one member consistently uses Alamy images which he's lifted from the site without paying for them.  When I confront him, I get a shed load of abuse from him, and other members, apparently I'm a Nazi, miserable, no fun at parties, desperate for money, etc, etc... 

So being able to share the images to Social Media is wrong and all it does is encourage image theft.  As for Armstrong's comment about the benefits of sharing to Social Media, well I don't agree...

As for Armstrong's comment about the benefits of sharing to Social Media, well it's a load of bollocks, isn't it?!

I remember helping you when you were new here, privately giving you advice via DM. You weren't so discourteous then.

I didn't mean to be discourteous and apologies if I seemed a bit brusque. I simply disagreed with your comment about social media and am still grateful for the help you gave me.

Archived