Battery pack for Flash recommendations

Hi All, 

I looked a few years ago at an external battery pack for my flash and Quantum was the make to go for. Instead I ended up stuffing extra Eneloop batteries into my pockets. I went out last Saturday and, although at an event for personal reasons, was asked to take some pictures and the battery power was a bit low so 2nd and 3rd pictures were dark. Not the first time this has happened!

So I've decided to get an external battery pack. What do you recommend and what do I need to buy to go with the pack? Also I'm on a budget so not paying £455 as I see the Quantum Slim lightest pack seems to be. 

I use Nikons and have an SB900 and SB800. 

Best wishes to you all. I hardly use Forum now. I did a lot 4 years ago and folks here were great. 

Adrian. 

until you find an external pack which suits your needs and budget, I would question those Eneloop batteries. I have several sets of those and find they run out of oomph rather quickly. If I was going to rely on a pocketful of AAs I would prefer to use Alkaline or Lithium Ion. Not so green, but more reliable, and they run at the right voltage.

Have agree with Robert here - Eneloop batteries are fine if you do not need a fast re-cycle time, but it you do ...

​Get the credit card out and go for a Quantum, yes expensive but damn good, can keep up with a D3 at Continuous High for busts with no issues on SB900 - I even have a spliter to power two at the same time.

I had the same issue as you many years ago, tried a number of products then buckled down just bought a Quantum Turbo - It now looks like an antique amongst the later models but still works fine, and would regard it as one of my best investments in the camera bag!

Hi Adrian,

This is what MDM (from this forum) had recommended to me:

"Nikon do the SD-9 battery pack for the SB-900, 910 and I believe it is also compatible with the 5000. I think they also have similar for the older speedlites."

Gen

Hi Adrian,

This is what MDM (from this forum) had recommended to me:

"Nikon do the SD-9 battery pack for the SB-900, 910 and I believe it is also compatible with the 5000. I think they also have similar for the older speedlites."

Gen

Just to say I have never had one of Nikon SD-9s so wasn't actually recommending it - I was just pointing out its existence as there was a question about whether Nikon had a battery pack for its flashguns.

Hi Matt, Robert, Gvallee and MDM, 

I appreciate your help. I like to keep compatibility i.e. Nikon but their battery pack is literally a pack to take AA batteries. I want a Pack that you charge up from the mains e.g. a Quantum device I assume. Perhaps I'm wrong about this. 

One further question I notice some photographers are selling 2nd hand Quantums on E-Bay. Avoid as too risky or do they tend to go on and on? 

Best wishes, 

Adrian.

2nd hand Quantum on E-Bay - I had one from there for a one off project some time ago with no problem - even put it back on and sold it at a profit! 

The worst that can happen is it requires new cells - which is still cheaper than a new one.

Also make sure you also get compatible cables 

Archived