This is not another "what is this Flower"

I am the same as many photographers on the forum....I am NOT a gardener but appreciate flowers especially to photograph and submit.

My best keywording skills reach to  such lengths as "This is a ROSE....etc"

then the colour....etc

and that is as far as my knowledge goes. I have 2-3 friends who can help a bit better BUT...

What web sites ...books...sources do you find easy to use to identify flora and fauna so we can all caption & keyword more fluently.

Thanks in advance to all the "green fingered"  gardeners among us.!!!

Sparks!!

Best advice?  If you are in a garden that labels the plants add a photo of the label to your shots.  Learn some broad classifications of plants - daisies, lilies, umbellifers etc to allow you to narrow down searches.  Learn some botanical latin to be able to use leaf shapes and floral arrangements in searches.  If it's garden plants get a good reference book such as the RHS Gardener's Encyclopedia of Plants and Flowers or the Roger Phillips / Martyn Rix reference books.  If it's wild flowers get a flora for your area.  Ask the forum.  Ask gardeners - even join gardening forums and pick the collective brains.  You'll build up a depth of knowledge that will make life a lot easier.

When I find a wildflower, the first thing I do is google Wildflowers of Oklahoma. Insert your area instead. I usually find it.

With other flowers I've also searched on Alamy like "Pink flowers" and hope I can find one like mine. If I do, I note the common and scientific name, then search those words again to get only the flower I'm interested in out of possible hundreds.

If it still looks probable, I go to Wikipedia and then general google searches. Like: "Geranium pictures". I may get nursery pictures and others. I'm looking for confirmation in more than one place. It's always a possibility that a subject may be misidentified on Alamy.

So never just trust one place.

If after a long time researching I still feel unsure, I might ask the forum, but I try not to abuse that privilege.

Thanks Betty....I follow a similar path as you.but when out and about especially recently on holiday down in Wiltshire, UK, we visited a steam railway with the old station house. Someone must care greatly for the attached garden ....I took some flower shots but have no idea what I shot. Will try to get them identified...see what happens. THANKS again

Sparks

Thanks Betty....I follow a similar path as you.but when out and about especially recently on holiday down in Wiltshire, UK, we visited a steam railway with the old station house. Someone must care greatly for the attached garden ....I took some flower shots but have no idea what I shot. Will try to get them identified...see what happens. THANKS again

Sparks

You could maybe email the railway owners, they might know what flowers have been planted.

John.

Sparks

Have you got anywhere you could post them - reduced size would probably do?  I'd certainly have a go at ID - and no doubt others would also be happy to have a go.  No guarantees - but you'll be no worse off.

Archived