Uploading scans of old black & white photos

I just started a contributor account and wonder if the scans I made from my black & white negatives of The Go Go's in the Whisky A Go Go in Los Angeles in March 1980 are acceptable for Alamy, as they are between 8 and 10 megabytes. The Go Go's just started their farewell tour, so the photos may be interesting for the journals and newspapers in the cities where they perform this month.

I have sold a few B&W images from the past and occasionally see old B&W shots in the papers, so, yes it is worth uploading.

I guess that the first issue is image size, and the Alamy criterion applies to the processed JPG, and the size is that which Photoshop shows at the bottom left hand corner of the screen. There are so many methods of measuring image size that this leads to endless debate here, but the PS JPG size is what you want. I am currently looking at a JPG whose PS size is 45.9M, but the file size on disc is only 8M.

Your decision is between using the normal channels, and having to pass through 21st century quality control, or to use the archival route, which is more lenient.

You have to apply to use the archival route showing examples of your work, and, if they are relevant and of appropriate quality, you will be able to by-pass the normal procedures. However images so uploaded are marked as "This image could have imperfections as it’s either historical or reportage.", so you may prefer to use the standard procedure.

I'm not sure if you have to have a record of reasonable uploads and maybe sales here before you can be considered for the archival route, look it up.

Larger files are better. The minimum for Archival photos is 5mb. I believe it's 17mb for the standard route.

I've had a fair number of sales of B&W scans originally shot in the 80s but all except one are over 50mb. Why are yours so small?

fD

- and you don't seem to have any images uploaded and approved, I guess you know that the scanned images cannot be used as the first four images to be scrutinized by QC.  Better wait with the scans until you know how things work here.

Archived