Photo or illustration

If a photo is heavily manipulated using one of those funky filters in Photoshop such as "oil painting", "water colors", etc... to the point where it no longer looks like a photograph but an illustration/drawing/sketch/painting...  Is it still submitted as a photo?  I know its not a vector graphic but it certainly can look like one.  How would you submit it?  Is it even permitted? 

I appreciate everyone helping me out being such a newbie and all.  I'll probably be asking a lot of technical questions for the first couple days.  Thanks.

That will probably depend on the deterioration. In this case I have still called it a photo, but described the image and process carefully using the word illustration.

But take care, all Alamy's requirements of focus, sharpness, etc. still stand, which means that not all filters can be used.....

big-old-oak-tree-with-winter-leafless-br

Niels, that's what I was wondering about.  I would think if it was done creatively Alamy would want it but image "deterioration" seems like a subjective issue.  Most of those filters achieve their effect by exaggerating qualities that normally make a poor photograph, such as excessive grain/noise, overly saturated colors, soft edges, etc...  99% of the time I enjoy photographs that look like photographs.  I'm not a big fan of those filters but once in a while I come across an image that looks like it could benefit from their use - maybe. By the way, that image is a great example of a photo enhanced by a one of those filters.  It adds to the bleakness. 

I actually asked Member Services at the time before I uploaded the image, this was part of the reply:

"If you’re planning to upload flattened Jpeg files as illustrations, this can be done through the online upload link in your account. All images/illustrations uploaded through the stock upload route must meet our normal submission guidelines (http://www.alamy.com/contributor/help/prepare-images.asp) and be free from technical errors when viewed at 100%."

unquote

For heavily artistic filtered images there are other agencies concentrating on this.

I don't know where the limit is, but I wouldn't try to find it yet, if I were you, not before you have a good and long-lasting QC history - and even then I don't think I would like to destroy this history...  :)

Niels, I agree.  At this point it was more about curiosity. Even if I don't do much of it, I would still like to be aware of the parameters.

Arterra, what are "POD agencies"?

POD means Print on Demand - agencies such as redbubble, Fine Art America, Crated and the like.

I have some illustrations that I've made from photographs that sell very well for me on microstock sites. I didn't just use a "painterly" filter but did a lot of work "by hand" via my pen and Bamboo tablet - mostly very specific travel images. I think they might have done well on Alamy too but felt that most Alamy buyers are looking for straight unmanipulated travel images.

I wouldn't say don't try them, but I'd say start with straight photographs and build up your portfolio before you start taking chances. Maybe search the term "illustration" along with a keyword or two that would fit the images you have in mind and see what comes up. That's probably the best way to judge it.

Wawa, I have uploaded a dozen or so. They are in my portfolio if you dig deep enough. I sell them on FineArtAmerica, but they don't even get zoomed here.

So yes, if carefully done, they can pass. I did have a failure for noise on one I added grain to.

But if I were you, I wouldn't waste my time uploading them to Alamy. I even keyworded mine for calanders and greeting cards, thinking they might sell to those outlets. Nada.

Those images take a long time to create, anyway, mine do. So now I create them and upload them elsewhere. You'll have a much better chance of making sales here with typical straight photos. That's what sells for me here.

Betty

Yeah, I was only asking because sometimes I can make a photo look like something similar to something done in Illustrator.  Not really a "painterly look".  I apologize for using the "painting" term, a bit misleading.   Anyway, if I submit any it probably won't be for a while since I'd like to develop a good size collection first. 

I have created a few images that fall into the manipulated or illustration category. Some have involved many hours of work. 

My aim is to sell products that incorporate those images - prints and other items. If I upload them to Alamy on the off chance that someone else might use them, it would not cost someone very much to download the full resolution image for 'personal use' (£10) and then get products made themselves.    

Archived