Highest iso on Sony RX100 mk111 to get through QC

Hi, David

I think you're gonna love your new popup EVF; it opens up a whole new world of possibilities. 

On the advice of another contributor, I set my RX100 at Aperture priority, try to stay between F/4 and f/8, and set the ISO on Auto. In Auto, I set the range from ISO 100 to 1,600. 1,600! Yes. I reduce noise in LR5 at 400 to 1,600. I may change my range to ISO 200 to 800 . . . but, all things considered, I've had many images sail through QC at 800 and 1,600. 

No, I don't believe the noise is controlled better in the 3, but now you have a great 24mm f/1.8 lens. 

Here's what you need to focus on . . . mentally focus: all QC fails happen because you miss or ignore something that's wrong when you view your edited image at 100%. 

Edo

No need to push the ISO with the RX100. Just select the night scene mode and with a little magic you'll be able to shoot indoor scenes handheld at ............ 100 ISO. Still dunno how Sony manages to do that  :blink:

mounted-skeletons-of-iguanadon-dinosaurs

Mounted skeletons of Iguanadon dinosaurs at the Dinosaur hall in the Royal Belgian Institute of Natural Sciences / Museum of Natural Sciences, dedicated to natural history in Brussels, Belgium

british-first-world-war-one-uniforms-and

British First World War One uniforms and WWI UK battledress at the In Flanders Fields Museum, Ypres, West Flanders Belgium

Cheers,

Philippe

Read a thread you posted on this way back when, one of the reasons I went with the RX100 mkll. It is quite incredible

Hi, David

I think you're gonna love your new popup EVF; it opens up a whole new world of possibilities. 

On the advice of another contributor, I set my RX100 at Aperture priority, try to stay between F/4 and f/8, and set the ISO on Auto. In Auto, I set the range from ISO 100 to 1,600. 1,600! Yes. I reduce noise in LR5 at 400 to 1,600. I may change my range to ISO 200 to 800 . . . but, all things considered, I've had many images sail through QC at 800 and 1,600. 

No, I don't believe the noise is controlled better in the 3, but now you have a great 24mm f/1.8 lens. 

Here's what you need to focus on . . . mentally focus: all QC fails happen because you miss or ignore something that's wrong when you view your edited image at 100%. 

Edo

The pop up EVF was the main reason I upgraded, well that and my local dealer had a mint used one in.

1600 double!! I've set mine to 400, maybe I'm too cautious but way back in the day when I shot on transparency fo wildlife agenies, I hardly ever went above iso(ASA) 100.

I never went above f5.6 on the mkll, diffraction and all that.

I'm now totally in sonyland as I followed your advice on the RX10. I'm thinking of changing that but don't know where to go. Been more or less everywhere over the years and now, in pensionland, there's not so much must have pressure. 

What? I sold you a Sony RX10? Does Sony know about this? They haven't contacted me with a . . . thank-you gift. Hmm.  :unsure:

I think you have to leave your film habits behind. I had to. Most of my color film shooting was with ASA 25 Kodachrome. Maybe you don't really need a faster ISO? Yes, you're being conservative, but are you being too conservative? I don't know. That's your call. 

Your images are looking good. Do some tests with high ISOs. See what works and what doesn't.

Still with the Mk1 and from what I can recall no fails to date on ISO up to 800. Ed I usually go to 400 ISO for general shooting.

Allan

Archived