Manage Images Pseudo problem (post new changes)

incamerastock

Hi Alamy,

Just noticed an unintended consequence of the new changes to the searchability of pseudonyms which means more work for us! I'm sure this was an oversight....

Manage Images no longer allows us to look at our collections using a pseudonym and keyword combination. It has always allowed us to see:

• A) everything under one pseudonym (by using the dropdown selector); or
  • B)everything under one keyword by typing the keyword (or a phrase) in the search box; or
  • C) by typing the pseudonym and keyword into the search box we could see all images of that keyword within a given pseudonym

Option C) is now no longer available as the new engine does not recognise the pseudonym. So for an agency like us or a contributor with a large collection broken down into pseudonyms they can no longer "manage" keywords or attribution at pseudonym/subject level which is a problem.

For example:

Let's say that we wanted to know how many images of London we had in PseudA; select a few of a certain area, change some keywords and move them to PseudB.

Prior to the changes we'd call up Manage Images and type:  "PseudA London"

This would return the images where London was a keyword within our PseudA. We could then see and manage those images as a unit within a single pseudonym; or select our 30 or 50 or whatever and drag them to the batch window and set them to PSeudB. Save it and job done.

Now, we can't do this so we would have to do that search on the main site, make a list of all the image numbers we wanted to alter and do them one by one...  Not good!

Could you flag this up as a problem please. That's quite a large chunk of functionality we've lost.

Thanks

J

I've the same problem with my different subjects but with one Pseudonym. I cannot link from my personal Homepage, sub-page "travel", just to my Alamy travel images. I.e.: "myname+travel" does not work anymore. That is really not helpful. It has worked for a long time without any problems and has forwarded visitors of my personal photographer-homepage directly to my Alamy Travel-images portfolio.

Would be great if Alamy finds a solution other then linking to an entire collection with different subjects or to force the Visitor to use the Advanced Search box.

Many thanks.

Forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this. I'm actually surprised when one goes to a contributors page(s) of images there is not a search box. I mean if someone clicks on a contributors name, found 6000 images and wanted to see if they had something specific, why should they have to sift through all pages or used the Advance Search? Seems having a search box with parameters set that will only look at the contributors images would make it easier for the buyer and more profitable for the contributor/Alamy. What do they say? The less clicks to find what one wants will more often keep a customer satisfied/interested and make a sale; then a customer getting bored or not wanting to jump through hoops to find something and just moves on.

Forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this. I'm actually surprised when one goes to a contributors page(s) of images there is not a search box. I mean if someone clicks on a contributors name, found 6000 images and wanted to see if they had something specific, why should they have to sift through all pages or used the Advance Search? Seems having a search box with parameters set that will only look at the contributors images would make it easier for the buyer and more profitable for the contributor/Alamy. What do they say? The less clicks to find what one wants will more often keep a customer satisfied/interested and make a sale; then a customer getting bored or not wanting to jump through hoops to find something and just moves on.

Charly,

You're forgiven :)  But it would be good if you could start your own thread in this section, as your enquiry has nothing to do with our original post. Thanks.

J

Good spot incamerstock, certainly an issue for me with multiple pseudonyms. Hope Alamy revert MI back to a pre change situation.

Used this pseud/keyword search all the time in MI before the changes!

Would be nice if Alamy could acknowledge this problem and this thread! It's been up for 6 days without reply. Happy to cut and paste it to Member Services for a response if need be...

J

Good spot incamerstock, certainly an issue for me with multiple pseudonyms. Hope Alamy revert MI back to a pre change situation.

Would be nice if Alamy could acknowledge this problem and this thread! It's been up for 6 days without reply. Happy to cut and paste it to Member Services for a response if need be...

J

Hi Jon,

Just a couple of points:

1 - due to the structure of our business on the contributor side, at the moment it's not possible for us to monitor the suggestions thread every day. Instead, we set aside certain times of the month to gather all the suggestions and ideas and then reply if required. If there is anything urgent, then yes, Member Services is the route to go. Sorry for the delay in replying to this thread.

2 - we'd like to thank you for pointing out this particular issue, we've been working on a fix and it is currently in testing. Hopefully, it should be live tomorrow.

Many thanks

Alamy

J

Hi Jon,

Just a couple of points:

1 - due to the structure of our business on the contributor side, at the moment it's not possible for us to monitor the suggestions thread every day. Instead, we set aside certain times of the month to gather all the suggestions and ideas and then reply if required. If there is anything urgent, then yes, Member Services is the route to go. Sorry for the delay in replying to this thread.

2 - we'd like to thank you for pointing out this particular issue, we've been working on a fix and it is currently in testing. Hopefully, it should be live tomorrow.

Many thanks

Alamy

Hi Alamy, 

Thanks, great to know it's being addressed. Once it's fixed I'll mark this one as "solved".

Timing of future suggestions noted, I had mistakenly thought you swept up this area every week! It wasn't a showstopper so I didn't bother MS.

Cheers

J

How does it work for you?

I tried "myname+travel" in the search box but have no return of my images

It's been returned to how it was in Manage Images only. Not in the main search engine.

Pseudonym + keyword is now working fine here in Manage Images.

J

I've a solution for my case: Using the Advanced Search, typing in Myname plus the keyword. The resulting link displays all "myname+travel"-images. This very long URL shortend with tinyurl, then pasting it into my homepage link. Solved.

I've a solution for my case: Using the Advanced Search, typing in Myname plus the keyword. The resulting link displays all "myname+travel"-images. This very long URL shortend with tinyurl, then pasting it into my homepage link. Solved.

Yes, that's how it works now for the main search area. #

My thread here was about Manage Images functionality only. The "Advanced Search" for pseudonym/contrib name has been there from the moment the change (to exclude pseudonyms from searches) was made.

J

Archived