Have Adobe stopped standalone updates?

Tried to buy an update to Lightroom this morning but got bogged down in Creative Cloud monthly payment stuff. Don't intend to go that way so Adobe might be losing a customer.

I notice that the full price version is still available through Amazon, but have they stopped selling standalone updates to Lightroom?

The Amazon version may be a box on the shelf... so not to be relied on.

I thought that it was all CC now.  

I'm still not clear on what the problem is with CC (6 quid a month?).  The upgrades included in the package are fabulous... The LR software you have you don't own anyway, you have a license to use it.

Out of curiosity, how much were upgrades?

Thanks for that link Alan, you might have got in just in time as it now pushes you in the direction of CC  :angry:

The full price is now £108. I don't upgrade every time, my version is still 4 and, to be honest, it still does what I want, but if I buy a new camera it won't handle the raw files. (Maybe there is a work around via dng, need to explore that.)

I don't like the idea of a regular monthly payment, which if my circumstances/interests change, I won't be able to maintain, and hence lose the use of the software. Further, I'm a pensioner and very much a part timer at this game so £72 a year ad infinitum is an appreciable amount of cash for me to find in this context. 

Thanks for that link Alan, you might have got in just in time as it now pushes you in the direction of CC  :angry:

The full price is now £108. I don't upgrade every time, my version is still 4 and, to be honest, it still does what I want, but if I buy a new camera it won't handle the raw files. (Maybe there is a work around via dng, need to explore that.)

I don't like the idea of a regular monthly payment, which if my circumstances/interests change, I won't be able to maintain, and hence lose the use of the software. Further, I'm a pensioner and very much a part timer at this game so £72 a year ad infinitum is an appreciable amount of cash for me to find in this context. 

Brian, Some camera manufacturers give away a free copy of standalone LR with new cameras. I know Leica do at the moment. There maybe some buyers who already have CC who have a spare copy. You might be able to get a copy via eBay or various forums. 

Brian, Some camera manufacturers give away a free copy of standalone LR with new cameras. I know Leica do at the moment. There maybe some buyers who already have CC who have a spare copy. You might be able to get a copy via eBay or various forums. 

The copy they give away is a code which has to be used via the internet not a disc.

Allan

Not a bad idea Michael.

Just tried to ring Adobe to get confirmation or otherwise that CC is the only way forward, but they may be having their Xmas party this lunchtime as no-one appears to be available to answer the call.

The copy they give away is a code which has to be used via the internet not a disc.

Allan

Cheers Allan, I hadn't realised. Is it CC or standalone? If it's standalone then Bryan could keep the installer on a USB instead of a disk.

Bryan - Try this link which has the update for standalone LR.

https://www.adobe.com/uk/products/catalog/software._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_catalog_sl_software_sl_mostpopular_uk.html

It only shows the price for the full version. Click buy and then it says 'I want to buy' with a small dropdown arrow. If you click that it allows you to select upgrade. Then select the version you are updating from. Price is £59.09

Tried to buy an update to Lightroom this morning but got bogged down in Creative Cloud monthly payment stuff. Don't intend to go that way so Adobe might be losing a customer.

I notice that the full price version is still available through Amazon, but have they stopped selling standalone updates to Lightroom?

Bryan try this link.

https://helpx.adobe....-downloads.html

You may have to type it in.

Allan

PS tried it and it took me to a download link. Clicked on link and download started.

Allan

Bryan, understood re the ongoing commitment. Difficult call... you want an "I'm retired" version really.

All companies moving to that model and eventually, unless you lose interest very quickly indeed, you're going to get caught up in it.  I would question whether it's worth the time and effort of trying to avoid... 

Leica do give a free copy with a code nowadays. Actually you get 2 licenses with each camera (for life I think).  Do you have a local friend who has been mad enough to buy a digital Leica recently?

Thanks for all of the help folks, you can still buy the upgrade from 4 to 6 and I successfully did so this afternoon, for about £59. Should do me for the next couple of years!

I eventually followed Alan's link and then used the chat now facility which was very helpful. As Paulette says you have to engage in the purchase and then select an option (not very obvious -  it's in a drop down menu) to buy an upgrade. You also appear to  need both the new and old serial numbers to register the software. Got there after a while....

Confess that I am impressed that Adobe allows users of fairly old software to upgrade in this way.

Archived