DxO OpticsPro 10 Anyone?

Is DxO OpticsPro 10 a step up from Lightroom, or a step down? Or is it just a step sideways? The cost at the giant stores here in NYC is $99.50 and $64 for a lesser version. 

Edo

I have used DxO from version 5 up to the current Pro 10, there have been improvements over the years, however i have found like most software one has to be careful not to let these programs take over, DxO as good as it is,  can do just that.. 

I also use LR 4, I find LR easier to adjust images with more control than DxO,  i would say from my experience that LR is slightly better.

Hope this helps,

Paul.

I'm using DxO Optics Pro 8 Elite. What I really like about it are the lens modules. They automatically correct for softness and distortion based on DxO Labs test results for each lens. I find that the modules work very well with my Sony lenses. I notice a significant improvement in sharpness and clarity. However, if you're happy with LR, then there's probably no point in shelling out for more software. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, as they say.

Thanks for the sale info, Edo, if the loonie was doing better against the mighty US$, I might considering upgrading to version 10.

Until near the end of November DXO has a half price offer on 10. If I didn't need to upgrade my computer system I would take them up on this as the lens modules are very good and 10 is reputed to be much quicker than previous versions.

That's interesting to know. What are the system requirements for DxO 10? My computer (dual core) is several years old. Even DxO 8 can be a bit slow on it.

P.S. I actually got my version 8 for free last year. DxO was giving it away. I wonder if they will do the same with DxO 9.

Hi John, they specify windows 8.1 or10 and recommend a min of 8gb ram with graphic card specs you can find by clicking the "requirements" button on their site. There is also an option to try free for 30 days which i may try. I currently run Windows 7 and don't intend to change the current configuration but will upgrade next year when i have chosen between 16 and 32 gb of ram.

Hi John, they specify windows 8.1 or10 and recommend a min of 8gb ram with graphic card specs you can find by clicking the "requirements" button on their site. There is also an option to try free for 30 days which i may try. I currently run Windows 7 and don't intend to change the current configuration but will upgrade next year when i have chosen between 16 and 32 gb of ram.

Thanks, Joe, I'll check that out. I too am on Windows 7 and don't plan to upgrade until next year. Fortunately, DxO 8 is still doing the job admirably. I've heard that noise reduction is much improved with DxO version 10, but I seldom shoot at high ISO anyway.

Hi John,

I am using DXO 10 Elite (powerful software) and then transfer images as Tiff to LR 5 to have better control of lights.

One thing You should avoid before export to LR is clearview preset...be careful of that. 

I love DxO, I am on the current version. I rate it way above LR, which I didn't like at all. It can be heavy on processor power, and you need time play with it as it does a lot and the amount of choices for processing can be a bit overpowering. Once you get going on it its superb, I would certainly not use anything else. And yes, the noise reduction is excellent as are their fab lens modules. Checking for CA is no longer needed.

Colin

Archived