IPTC Fields

Hi everyone,

Firstly, I apologize if this has been asked before but I could not find it.

When sending images to the news feed using FTP I use the standard IPTC fields for headline, caption and keywords.

I would like to be able to submit all or as many fields as possible at this stage so that I don't have to go back and use the image manager in alamy when the images go from news to general on sale.

Is there a definitive list anywhere of which fields alamy can accept such as No of people, model released etc?

Thanks for your help.

Cam

Welcome to the forum Cam.

I stand to be corrected but I don't believe the fields you name are IPTC fields (number of people etc). I don't think there is an alternative to using Manage Images when they move from News to Stock.

If you send an email to the Member Services they should be able to definitively answer this.

IIRC news images go straight from the feed to stock with empty attributes fields which you're then expected to fill in. It doesn't prevent them going on sale as it normally would.

But no, you can't do them in advance, they're proprietary to Alamy.

Thanks for your replies, I have asked memberservices about this.

I know that all the fields are not standard IPTC fields but I'm pretty sure that there is a way to do this.

In my searching I came across this plugin for lightroom: http://www.lightroom-plugins.com/AlamyIndex.php

Now, I know nothing about this plugin and will not be downloading it as it is not compatible with my software or workflow but I'd be interested to hear from anyone who uses it.

However, if they can do it then it must be possible to do it either by adding metadata to the photo file or by some form of API.

I will post any response I get from alamy when it arrives.

I have made a number of posts about the "Alamy Picture Manager"

As my workflow is Lightroom based this application does work for me so while the images are still in the newsfeed, I am able to link my LR catalog to the News Feed Images and complete the missing fields so that when the images move from the news feed to the stock library all of the fields are complete...

For those that are interested, here's what I got back from member services

Hi Cam

We can import the IPTC metadata when we upload your images, but we only extract the caption/description, keyword and date fields depending on which version of Photoshop you are using.

In Photoshop 6 and 7, the caption field is Alamy’s Caption field. 

In all CS versions of Photoshop the description is Alamy’s Caption field.

In all Photoshop versions the keywords field is Alamy’s Comprehensive Keyword field.

However it won't be possible to fill the 'Attributes' tab in prior via IPTC, you'll have to manually do it after the images are out of the news feed and in your 'On sale more details required' tab of your manage images page.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

So the answer is you can't sent all of the data to alamy using metadata.

From what I gather the lightbox plugin uses html posts to update your alamy image pages on line. As far as I know there is no official API for managing this data.

Shame as it would save me a good deal of time if I could submit all of the data in one go rather than having to visit the site and add all of the other image attributes.

Thank you for your replies.

Cam

Archived