Correct usage of image restrictions

Hi,

I could use some help in the correct use of image restrictions as it seems to be confusing to me.

Let's say I want to restrict an image to editorial usage only. Do I just have to choose "editorial" via the restrictions section? It seems wrong to me, because then the list below says "Image not available to use in: all countries, editorial etc."

So its then not available to use in editorial usage? 

As you can see, confusing to me. 

Regards

DanKaesler

My general advice, FWIIW, is let the buyer decide what restrictions they are going to impose on their use of your image.

dd

In theory, you need to tick everything but "editorial". However, I find that by ticking "commercial electronic" it throws out that website use is not available which is kind of counter-productive. I tend to tick "advertising", "direct mail" and "consumer goods". 

My first four-figure sale was of a young dancer, face fully visible, no release. Luckily even then I was following the adage of "let the buyer decide on use"--had I placed any sort of "editorial use only" restriction, I would have missed that sale (and many, many others since).

dd

I used to set all the restrictions recommended for "editorial use only" but have removed them. I actually got an e-mail from Alamy suggesting that I might be losing sales because of the restrictions on some images. Where RM images are concerned, letting the buyer decide seems adequate to me as well. I do sometimes type "Editorail Use Only" in the description field if I'm feeling extra paranoid.

"Editorail Use Only"  - I do add this everytime when there's any doubt to commercial usage ;) It's up to the client to decide how he'll use the work.

Unfortunately, usually my description is longer than Alamy's "caption" and when you find the work on distributor's site, it's cut so "Editorail Use Only" is gone right with the part of description ;)

Archived