I make and have sold cut outs using the pen tool in PS, but I suspect that the purists will tell you that it should be done with appropriate lighting and that a small shadow should be included. If you have the luxury of studio lighting, then, once set up, that should be a lot more efficient than the software solution.

The trick is to ensure that there is a sufficient white border around the object, as otherwise, Alamy's software will not recognise your shot as being a cut out. Further, even though you include the words cut out in your keywords, the search engine will not find your work unless the algorithm has detected what it believes to be a cut out.

Doesn't matter how you achieve a cut out, pen path or otherwise. Getting it as right as possible in camera just saves time.

Main thing, if possible, is to offer as clean a cutout as possible and a nice drop shadow.  Lots of examples from graphic designers in back of recent award section of GDUSA.  People might want to read the bit about trends in what clients are actually using....rise of mutiple channel use etc.

Most of the cutouts I've sold have been of statues (including one this morning). It's a lot easier with Photoshop - I don't have a big enough sheet.

I do cutouts in the studio with white background and a light under the subject, but I often have to do a bit of work to remove shadows, dust and scratches. 

Doesn't matter how you achieve a cut out, pen path or otherwise. Getting it as right as possible in camera just saves time.

Main thing, if possible, is to offer as clean a cutout as possible and a nice drop shadow.  Lots of examples from graphic designers in back of recent award section of GDUSA.  People might want to read the bit about trends in what clients are actually using....rise of mutiple channel use etc.

Agree, set up correct lighting on subject + white background and all you have to do in PS is adjust levels slightly to ensure a pure white background while retaining drop shadow below the subject. Speeds things up no end!

Thanks for the information I photograph at car shows and the backgrounds are sometimes busy.  I thought that many of the cars would look better as cut outs.  Would still have to deal with the fact that the windows, and windshield are transparent and having to replace those views.  I suppose that another solution would be to have the club or show to have entrants come by a nice background for photos.

Marvin 

Thanks for the information I photograph at car shows and the backgrounds are sometimes busy.  I thought that many of the cars would look better as cut outs.  Would still have to deal with the fact that the windows, and windshield are transparent and having to replace those views.  I suppose that another solution would be to have the club or show to have entrants come by a nice background for photos.

Marvin 

That sounds like a nightmare Marvin. It takes an age to produce a decent cutout using the pen tool and the additional task of changing window content would certainly put me off!  I use a tracker ball, but, for serious cutting out it would probably be worth investing in a graphics tablet.

I make cutouts on dark rainy nights when there is nothing on the telly, and nowt much else to do. They do sell, for example I have had a couple of decent textbook sales as a result, but, overall, the hourly rate of pay for this work is probably below the already miserable level resulting from general stock sales. 

Marvin 

That sounds like a nightmare Marvin. It takes an age to produce a decent cutout using the pen tool and the additional task of changing window content would certainly put me off!  I use a tracker ball, but, for serious cutting out it would probably be worth investing in a graphics tablet.

I make cutouts on dark rainy nights when there is nothing on the telly, and nowt much else to do. They do sell, for example I have had a couple of decent textbook sales as a result, but, overall, the hourly rate of pay for this work is probably below the already miserable level resulting from general stock sales. 

A polarizing filter should help get rid of the windscreen reflections.....but the reflections on the chrome are gonna be heaps of work.

Maybe buy a realistic scale model of the car and photograph it in a light tent.

Thanks for the information.  I did some cut outs when I was taking a Photoshop class but that has been a while back.  Seems like I remember using the magnetic lasso tool to cut out.  I didn't think about the chrome and that would be a problem.  Might be easier to find a nice background and see if the car club would just stop by.  

Archived