Flower ID please.

Sorry just looked through my "small" book and it is not there.  Petals look like Oxeye daisy but not with the centre shown. Centre is similar to Field Scabious but that is purple.

Allan

Another flower from the enormous composite/aster/sunflower family. To my eye, it's reminiscent of hawkweed (Hieracium), chicory (Cichorium), and wild lettuce (Lactuca), though I can't find anything in those genera that quite fit (Lactuca indica is the closest I get). Per Wikipedia, those three genera belong to the tribe Cichorieae, which has a mere 1,600 species in 100 or so genera, so I guess that doesn't really round it down very much. More info would help: What do the leaves look like? What's the growth habit (i.e., tall, short; one flower head per stalk or many)? Where is it growing? (What part of the world, and what kind of habitat.)

If Wikipedia is correct (always a big if), plants in the genus Taraxacum have only one flower head per stem, and the second photo seems to show several. Sure is a pretty flower, but I'm not sure we have enough info in these photos to make an I.D.

Archived