As a photographer (with equipment), what/who are the best airlines to travel with?

United also lost my bag. They state on their website that you have to take extra insurance for fragile and/or valuable items. Camera equipment is part of that list, which makes sense. However, the tripod count as camera equipment and will not be reimbursed. So if you pack your tripod, keep in mind that United (not sure about other airlines) will not reimburse it when they lose your bag.

United is also on the list of worst airlines when it comes to losing luggage .. so I recommend to stay away from them if you have checked bags.

Domestic airlines in the US usually don't have an issue with large carryons, as long as it's not more than two bags.

Update: I actually got my bag back! After 3 weeks I had given up. With tripod and all ...

My bag is still lost after 2.5 weeks .. so I don't expect to get it back. It was lost in Newark.

There are several stories on the internet (so it must be true  ;)   ) about people that had bags lost by United, and filed claims with the small claims court and suddenly their bags showed up after being lost for 6 weeks or more ...

I have had good experiences with Easy Jet, Ryan Air, Flybe, B.A, Alitalia, Virgin, United and Continental. I'm talking here about taking a huge  8" x 10" kit plus lenses, film holders and tripod. In addition to my carry-on bag with three Leicas. My turning up at the airport with all that kit, (I try to forewarn airlines and have to pay extra of course, or my client, gallery, sponsor does), has never been a major problem. On the contrary, the folks at check-in and outsize baggage screening and x-ray are often bemused and interested in all that (unusual for them) kit. I have only ever had one ground glass broken and that was at Heathrow with BA. (I always have spares with me anyway). 

I use a Peli case for the 8" x 10" camera, lenses, and film holders. I can also get a few shirts in there as well! For the Leicas I have a Billingham and I carry all my documents in there too. (Plus receipts / invoices for the kit in case of questions at customs). 

I flew out of Geneva airport a few weeks ago and my bag with three Leicas plus lenses went through the hand baggage scanner as I passed through the body scanner. As I was collecting the camera bag from the conveyor belt thingy on the other side, a security guy was standing there watching me with folded arms grinning. "Hello Pete, what are you doing here?" It was an ex-student of mine, working at the airport part-time to subsidise his fledgling photography business. He gave my Leicas a thorough looking at, more out of curiosity than security. 

I’ve travelled several times over the last few years between Stansted and the Canary Islands by Ryanair. I’ve had no problems at all by sticking to the cabin baggage volume requirements and making sure any hold baggage is not overweight. I make sure that I have less than the 10 kg cabin baggage allowance and I’ve never had it weighed. I always wear an old Levi denim jacket with loads of pockets into which I can fit various extras which could put me over the weight, such as portable hard drives, gps, glasses and shades, phone etc.

Ryanair seem less strict than they were a few years ago about cabin baggage and are now allowing an extra shopping bag as well which can take a few extras such as books or magazines, food and other small items. as well as stuff purchased in the airport. This used to have to go in the cabin baggage. However, because they are allowing this extra bag, there is less room on the plane for cabin baggage and it is quite common that they request passengers when in the boarding queue to allow their cabin baggage to be placed in the hold (free of charge). For this reason, it is wise for those of us carrying gear that should not go in the hold to either pay the bit extra for priority boarding, which guarantess that you can take your cabin baggage on board (and your choice of seat), or make sure you get into the boarding queue early (can be stressful).  

On my last few departures from Tenerife (and I presume all Spanish airports now), Spanish airport security require all electronic items to be removed from cabin bags and placed in trays. This now includes cameras as well as laptops. It is worth being aware of this as, the first time it happened to me, I left my cameras in my bag and I was sent back through security with my now almost empty bag while my two cameras were being held in one hand by a helpful Spanish policeman on the other side who was moving trays on with the other hand. The cameras survived but it was a nervy experience.

I have for years taken great pride in surviving the Ryanair 'one bag' rule! My other half and I have bought pull along carry-ons that convert to backpacks and they are supposedly guaranteed to fit in Ryanair's size tester. We liked them so much we have bought them as presents for several relatives. I manage to take enough in those bags to last me two weeks on holidays, along with my camera etc., I was pleased to see that Ryanair are now allowing an extra bag, however that extra bag also has a size limit and it's pretty small - none of my handbags would qualify.

In response to your post - I just wanted to add my tip. We last flew Ryanair in June. We queued up at the gate and held our breath as to whether our carry-ons would make it into the cabin or go in the hold. Just as I handed my boarding pass over, three guys pushed to the front with their priority boarding passes and were allowed through with their carry-ons. At this point, the check-in guy pointed to my carry-on and said' Sorry, we've hit the 90 carry-on bags limit, that will have to go in the hold'.  It was ok, I was prepared for it. Actually, at that point you are still allowed two cabin bags and you can stuff as much as you like in the bag that is going in the hold.  

Then my partner stepped forward and was ready to hand over his bag, but the guy just waved him through. The difference?  I was wheeling mine and he had his converted to the backpack and had it over his shoulder.  So, the carry-on in the hold rule seems to be for WHEELED carry-ons.  Or it was that day. If your carry is a backpack, you may avoid the hold storage.

I have just come from Turkey via Germany, with LH. Maybe is because it was a flight from Turkey but LH staff checked one by one all electronic items to all passengers to see if was them working. In case that does not work the item is not allowed to be in the airplane. I was worrying what could happen if my Cannon was broken, error 99 like in the past during a trip, and does not let get me on board with the faulty camera.

In this case it is better to check in any faulty items?

I have just come from Turkey via Germany, with LH. Maybe is because it was a flight from Turkey but LH staff checked one by one all electronic items to all passengers to see if was them working. In case that does not work the item is not allowed to be in the airplane. I was worrying what could happen if my Cannon was broken, error 99 like in the past during a trip, and does not let get me on board with the faulty camera.

In this case it is better to check in any faulty items?

That's a good point. An eager security official at an Italian airport, (can't remember exactly which one), pounced on a Leica M2 in my bag, ignoring the digi ones, and asked me to "turn it on". I said "it doesn't". "TURN IT ON!" She repeated, much louder in a menacing tone. I took it off her, wound the film on and took her photograph. "It's mechanical, no batteries". Black look but waved through. 

Flew with Monarch to Italy in May no problems with my equipment as hand luggage.

In Normandy today flew with Ryanair this morning no problems with backpack for my equipment (although it did go through xray twice), and a second carry on with clothing and my tripod but would recommend priority pass to be on safe side.

I’ve travelled several times over the last few years between Stansted and the Canary Islands by Ryanair.

<>

I have for years taken great pride in surviving the Ryanair 'one bag' rule! My other half and I have bought pull along carry-ons that convert to backpacks and they are supposedly guaranteed to fit in Ryanair's size tester.

Lastrega,

Do you maybe have a link?

wim

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your input. Because there is not a "one size fits all" type answer to this question, the blog post took a last minute turn away from specific airlines and more to general tips. We hope you find it useful though and we do point people here at the end in order to read all your views.

Here it is: http://www.alamy.com/blog/air-travel-tips-for-photographers

Cheers,

Alamy

I’ve travelled several times over the last few years between Stansted and the Canary Islands by Ryanair.

<>

I have for years taken great pride in surviving the Ryanair 'one bag' rule! My other half and I have bought pull along carry-ons that convert to backpacks and they are supposedly guaranteed to fit in Ryanair's size tester.

Lastrega,

wim

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cabin-Max-Approved-Lightweight-Backpack/dp/B005C3QKF4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1442405689&sr=8-2&keywords=cabin+max

There are different sizes / prices, so search 'cabin max'.

<>

Lastrega,

wim

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cabin-Max-Approved-Lightweight-Backpack/dp/B005C3QKF4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1442405689&sr=8-2&keywords=cabin+max

There are different sizes / prices, so search 'cabin max'.

Thank you! Looks good. Durability?

wim

Thank you! Looks good. Durability?

wim

Fine - zips etc., are good. Lightweight, but strong fabric. Have used ours loads of times both here and abroad and have had no problems. Wheels are fine and a section unzips from the back and tucks under the wheels when using as a backpack, so your clothes don't get dirty from the wheels.

I think they are very good for the money. We have the bigger ones, but I could see me buying the smaller one for short trips and using it as a daypack - the big ones are fine on your back, but you still want a daypack for out and about when you get there.

I think we have bought at least five of these for ourselves and kids and they have been pretty well used, with no complaints. I've had mine about four years, I think. They are not Louis Vuitton, but then I'm not Elton John!

Edit:  I notice they are saying they are usually £59 - not in my experience - always around £34 for the biggest one.

Archived