I have a question on understanding the AlamyMeasures 2.1: My Images.

I currently have 853 images online according to AlamyMeasures, from 12-May-2013 to 10-Jun-2013, I've had 0 sales, 948 views, and 1 zoom, giving a CTR of 0,11%

Now, my questions: What can I deduct from these numbers?

1. That I have waaaay too little images online (working on that one)

2. That my images are badly keyworded? and don't appear in searches too often?

3. That my images are well keyworded, but that they don't appeal to buyers?

4. Whatever more info you can give me ;-)

Thanks in advance!

I think things have changed so much at Alamy in the last few months that it is difficult to interpret the stats. anymore. If you'd had thee or four more zooms over the same period you'd have average CTR so with that number of images it is only small fluctuations that make the difference betwen good and bad.

I used to tick along with a CTR of about twice average. This month so far I have had 3 sales (presumably dating back to searches from months back) and  no zooms at all. I don't find these stats. at all reasuring in terms of the future.

Many excellent photos. But I would be more precise and descriptive in the captions, if I were you.

Describing the image more closely will also give you more ideas to more, and more specific, keywords.

And avoid a caption like this: "This stock photo depicts a dog laying on a carriage."

Not a thorough description - and four unnecessary words.

And shouldn't it be lying?? ;-)

Bjorn,

You do seem to have some awkward captions and keywords (what I can see) that don't seem to describe what are the most saleable parts of the image. You might search for some other images that resemble yours, and see what those photographers are using to caption and essential keyword their images. I wouldn't waste space with words like "Stock photo of" and as an example, in your early work "weddingrings" is not a word and really shouldn't be in your Essential keywords.

You have some very nice images, but your measures numbers should tell you that your keywording isn't attracting buyers to them.

Dave

Improving your titles & keywords strikes me as productive first step, Borniet.

For example, the general "A plate with gastronomic dish" appears to be main info for several of your food photos, and I don't see any mention of the specific food shown.

Also, when 2 photos are virtually same - but with camera moved about 1• to side - it will likely hurt CTR.  (though this surely exists somewhere in my own port, I aim to avoid it)

BTW, some titles start with "stock photo of."  I suggest you get rid of these filler words in title, which is prime real estate for info.

[Edited to add: I see Niels Quist & OneWay covered much of the above, while I was still typing.]

Thank you, Ann, Niels and OneWay for saying most of the things I was going to say.  :)

Borniet, I see this large winged creature that you call a Bird of Prey. ??? How about telling which bird of prey that is . . . and with animals always include the Latin name as well as the English name. 

I have a question on understanding the AlamyMeasures 2.1: My Images.

I currently have 853 images online according to AlamyMeasures, from 12-May-2013 to 10-Jun-2013, I've had 0 sales, 948 views, and 1 zoom, giving a CTR of 0,11%

Now, my questions: What can I deduct from these numbers?

I notice you've been a member since 2007 so you have more than one month's stats. Given the, now, erratic nature of measures you could probably deduce rather more from considering the whole year's data. The average contributer with 1000 views per month is currently only getting 4 or 5 zooms within that time period so you can't read anything into such a small data collection.

Accepting  that "the customer is always right" there is an issue I have noticed from time to time where "sloppy" word searching by customers can produce strange results and affect contributors CTRs.

For example in the last few days I have noticed searches for "trainers" which could relate to shoes, coaching, joggers,  athletes, runners etc. and will no doubt return a load of spurious results/images through lack of the precision that we always try to apply to our keywording.

Similarly with "British bird"; "kite on the ground" (bird or kite-flying?) "Yorkshire sign" etc. 

It may or may not be a big issue but lack of word precision when searching can presumably have a detrimental affect on sellers' measures.

Accepting  that "the customer is always right" there is an issue I have noticed from time to time where "sloppy" word searching by customers can produce strange results and affect contributors CTRs.

For example in the last few days I have noticed searches for "trainers" which could relate to shoes, coaching, joggers,  athletes, runners etc. and will no doubt return a load of spurious results/images through lack of the precision that we always try to apply to our keywording.

Similarly with "British bird"; "kite on the ground" (bird or kite-flying?) "Yorkshire sign" etc. 

It may or may not be a big issue but lack of word precision when searching can presumably have a detrimental affect on sellers' measures.

I think you just have to accept this will happen. I'd say  about half of my views throw up images that are not quite the subject matter that the researcher wants. Some of it is due to vague searches but often It's unavoidable. Try keywording an "owl butterfly" or a "tiger tomato" so that you don't get lots of false hits. :D Of course if Alamy activated the quotes in keywording it might help. At the moment I'd just like to see some zooms again.

Thank you for all the tips!

I've been busy with stock photography around 2006-2007, and made quite good sales on Acclaim and Photographers Direct (one of them needed you to use "stock photo of" as a caption). I uploaded a bunch to Alamy around that time, without putting too much effort into it. Then came wedding photography, and being so busy I wasn't able to do anything for my stock photography anymore. Now, due to health issues, we're leaving wedding photography more or less behind, and can focus on stock again.

So, let's start capturing, captioning, and keywording!

Archived