Filezilla connection hiccups

Almost certainly nothing serious. If it recovers without missing a beat, I would ignore it. It may be looking for something that Alamy isn't configured to do. FTP always seems to offer interesting messages of one sort or another.

Mark,

I got the 'You now have FTP access', last week and went and d'loaded the first one on the reccommended Alamy list, FIlezilla. Anti-virus immediately flagged it as containing a Trojan Horse. Filezilla's own forums confirm this. Be wary, mate.

On the good news side, WinSCP worked straight away and u'loaded selected files. (Have Windows O/S)

Krisken

Mark,

I got the 'You now have FTP access', last week and went and d'loaded the first one on the reccommended Alamy list, FIlezilla. Anti-virus immediately flagged it as containing a Trojan Horse. Filezilla's own forums confirm this. Be wary, mate.

On the good news side, WinSCP worked straight away and u'loaded selected files. (Have Windows O/S)

Krisken

Already done and dusted but then I don't use third-party antivirus so I don't get false positives.

Mark,

Gotcha. Happy u'loading and QC passes.

Joe,

Once I entered Alamy's details and figured out which drive and folder to point it at, all went smoothly. Passed QC quickly, too.

Krisken

The only drawback is that it's so quick and easy that I'm liable to overlook that final check before drag-and-dropping the folder. Once it's done it's done, no last-minute cancelling as you can in the browser.

Filezilla working OK for me, but I don't like the fact that I can't see the images that I am uploading, only the filenames. OK I could make an upload directory, which would avoid any upload selection issues, but that's an extra few steps. Maybe there's a workaround that I'm not aware of?

Conventional upload worked speedily this morning, not sure how much use I will be making of FTP.

It is very quick and it dosn't hang as online sometimes does.

I've always had a folder called 'alamyresize' with my exports in named folders inside it so there's not much change for me. To be fair you can't really 'see' the images in the online window. But you do need to build in that last-minute check somewhere.

I agree FTP is a bit hardcore. Reminds one of the days of  command-line. One drag, one drop and it's done.

One other thing, it takes a bit longer to appear in 'track subs'. 10-15 minutes.

There are numerous recent reports of malware issues with Filezilla, unfortunately only found this out after downloading it. Due to the problems encountered with FZ I chacked WinSCP thoroughly and decided against it. Eventually settled on Cyberduck which has downloaded seemingly without issue; just have to figure out how to use it now.

Archived