Seems  alamy are looking into infringement now here is a reply i had

"We don’t have a download for your image DA1149 by the website. However if the image is exclusive to Alamy please fill up the form that I’ve attached here and send us back.

We’re now working with a third party company to gain a watertight reporting and policing system for unreported usages ,so tracking and billing your infringed Alamy exclusive images have become easier now."

Did they clarify what they meant by "exclusive to Alamy"?

It is possible to have an image posted on Alamy only, but it could still be non-exclusive -- i.e. you might not have given Alamy exclusive rights.

Hi John,

I think with exclusive they dont mean exclusive by contract but just not submitted on own choice to other agencies. So all images that are only on Alamy.

Mirco

Hi,

I filled in a form today. I understand it is not exclusive. Exclusive only in the sense of "sold by Alamy". But got a reply straight back that stated.

"We can chase infringements by businesses and companies that are based in UK , US, France and Canada".

and

"We’re now working with a third party company to gain a watertight reporting and policing system for unreported usages ,so tracking and billing your infringed Alamy exclusive images have become easier now." as said before.

One image is used on more than 40 chinese websites. So can't do much there I belief.

But hey, who knows about the ones within these countries.

Perry

I sent an email and received the same form.  I found it a bit insulting....I sent in a link to an address that used the Alamy image number as part of the URL and the image itself still has the Alamy watermark on it.

Despite that, I'm still being asked to fill out a form prompting for excuses about how it can't be chased - i.e. "You are not exclusive so it's not our responsibility even if it does have our watermark on it".  Seems to me Alamy is immediately assuming the benefit of the doubt against the photographer/image supplier.

I'll worry about it over the weekend when I have more time.

Archived