Hi all

I recently opened a Smugmug account for my images and whilst checking my stats today I came across an option to join google analytics, does anyone use this and if so what are your opinions.

Liam, I find Google Analytics EXTREMELY informative.

I regularly use it to check what Service Provider (Network), in what City...., has landed on which Pages of my website, via what Source, for the Day, week.....

For example, I may see a particular news outlet Network has viewed particular pages, or that a visitor from particular town/city has viewed specific images...  

(And it's interesting when I see Parliament or US House of Representatives... has visited particular pages.)

- Ann

Liam, I find Google Analytics EXTREMELY informative.

I regularly use it to check what Service Provider (Network), in what City...., has landed on which Pages of my website, via what Source, for the Day, week.....

For example, I may see a particular news outlet Network has viewed particular pages, or that a visitor from particular town/city has viewed specific images...  

(And it's interesting when I see Parliament or US House of Representatives... has visited particular pages.)

- Ann

How do you get that much detail? My hits seem to be aggregated by country.

@spacecadet:  In Google Analytics webmaster page:

I typically start out with primary dimension (listed at left of page) of Technology -> Network

then choose Secondary Dimension (click dropdown tab at top of chart) of Users -> City

---

BTW, another dimension I often check is Acquisition --> All Traffic  --> Referrals

-----------------------------

or to go just to the specific location of visitors:

at left of page - click Audience -->  Geo - -->  Location

when in location -  chart to right lists the Countries of your visitors

Click a Country & it lists the states --- Click a state & it lists the towns

----------

hope this helps - Ann

@Liam @spacecadet  - this may be useful:

If you have verified your website with Google Analytics, and have administrative access to the G.A. account:

At  https://www.google.com/analytics/  click Access Google Analytics in upper right

At top of G.A. page is:  Home    Reporting    Customization    Admin

• Click Home  -  to select which of your sites you want to check   (how I switch from checking my website to checking my blog) 

• Click Reporting  -  then, at left you should see:  

Dashboard, Shortcuts, Intelligence Events, Real-Time, Audience, Acquisition, Behavior, Conversions

I suggest you then click each of the above to see what options/info each covers. I bold-faced the 3 that I mentioned in my first post

- Ann

@Liam @spacecadet  - this may be useful:

If you have verified your website with Google Analytics, and have administrative access to the G.A. account:

At  https://www.google.com/analytics/  click Access Google Analytics in upper right

At top of G.A. page is:  Home    Reporting    Customization    Admin

• Click Home  -  to select which of your sites you want to check   (how I switch from checking my website to checking my blog) 

• Click Reporting  -  then, at left you should see:  

Dashboard, Shortcuts, Intelligence Events, Real-Time, Audience, Acquisition, Behavior, Conversions

I suggest you then click each of the above to see what options/info each covers. I bold-faced the 3 that I mentioned in my first post

- Ann

Wow!

Thanks very much for this. I had 'webmaster tools' before but I had no idea about all this stuff.

Glad to be of help.

As an aside, I do NOT have my google analytics set to collect specific data such as gender, income, education... And those who do are required to include a disclosure on their sites about collecting such data.

And, before EDO heads to the hills --- someone who has settings similar to mine gathers info no more specific than aspects such as town + network + acquisition + time -- which could be referring to any one of thousands+ of potential users in area such as New York, NY.

Archived