Canon 5D MKIII Firmware Update 1.3.3

1. First unzip the downloaded file

2. Copy the .fir file to memory card at the top level (i.e. not in any of the folders on the card)

3. Then choose firmware at the yellow tab in the camera menu.

Thank you Martin but that is what I did.  The camera just says "memory card containing firmware is required to update"

Pearl

1. First unzip the downloaded file

2. Copy the .fir file to memory card at the top level (i.e. not in any of the folders on the card)

3. Then choose firmware at the yellow tab in the camera menu.

Thank you Martin but that is what I did.  The camera just says "memory card containing firmware is required to update"

Pearl

Try a different in camera formatted card Pearl?

Allan

Thank you Martin and Allan for your suggestions.  It was my fault for not reading things properly.  I was copying the .dmg file rather than the unzipped .fir file.  All fine now.

Pearl

I don't reckon there's a lot to this update. Most people didn't know the stuff that was fixed in the update was even broken. I'll leave mine as is until it's sound throughout. I did get a good performance increase on my 1D Mark IV though, it was stuck down at base and never updated. 

I'm the poor relation here with just a 60d but this might have some relevance. Recently bought the new 10-18STM. On fitting it to the camera all defaults were reset (every single time the lens was fitted), the most annoying being the focus confirmation bleep. Turned out that an update solved the problem. Not sure if any other improvements were made but at least I can now fit any lens without the camera resetting to factory default.

I'm still not sure why we can't just plug the camera into the computer, let it talk to the Canon site which would automatically install updates; just like Microsoft.

Archived