3rd party batteries for XT1

Ex-pro, chilli power, ezopower, inov8 etc etc lots of choice at various price points. Notwithstanding the 'you've just spent a small fortune on a camera why skimp on the battery, would you put chip oil in a Ferrari etc etc' has anyone got any comments on cheapo batteries for the XT 1 ?

I have the kit that included a charger and two Wasabi batteries.  They work fine.  No complaints, but then I rarely shoot over 20-40 images at a time.  Not sure how much time it would take to drain one of those against the original.  But I figure in that case, I have two spares to take along, so what does it matter?

Betty

I've used 3rd party batteries and chargers for at least 14 years on the priciest cameras made and never had an issue. Wasabi has always been fine on my Fujis,Oly,Nikons,Canons and Sony cameras.

L

I use Hahnel and Fuji batteries in my X-T1 & X-E1 completely interchangeably and don't notice any difference. It is not unusual (not common) for me to shoot 2-300 images in a longer session when shooting more active subjects and both types cope equally well. I get at least the quoted number of shots but I don't have review switched on and rarely chimp (unless I am concerrned about difficult light or other challenge),

I wouldn't use unbranded batteries though.

Thanks - I looked for the Wasabi as it does seem to be favoured on other forums too but it was o.o.s. so I've ordered myself a few Hahnel at £18 a pop - approx one third of the price of a Fuji. Sorry Mr Fuji.

Camera hasn't actually turned up yet but it's on it's way from Ffordes - £1249 + free grip + £100 cashback so I decided that was as good a deal as I was likely to get for the 18-135 kit so I've taken the plunge.

I use Hahnel too in Fuji and Nikon. I recall Nikon warn specifically against third party batteries becuase lesser makes get hot as they lose charge and may cause damage. I have not had any problems with Hahnel

J

I  recall my father having several Nikon Coolpix overheat and melt - using Nikon batterties. So perhaps they are a bit paranoid; and they would say that anyway!

I use Hahnel too in Fuji and Nikon. I recall Nikon warn specifically against third party batteries becuase lesser makes get hot as they lose charge and may cause damage. I have not had any problems with Hahnel

J

I  recall my father having several Nikon Coolpix overheat and melt - using Nikon batterties. So perhaps they are a bit paranoid; and they would say that anyway!

Well quite !

Could have been a bad batch. Apple had a problem with their laptop batteries a few years ago too

I think that's why they [Nikon] started putting a little hologram logo on their approved batteries.

J

Well quite !

Could have been a bad batch. Apple had a problem with their laptop batteries a few years ago too

I think that's why they [Nikon] started putting a little hologram logo on their approved batteries.

There was a spate of problems about that time with Litium based batteries. Sony and others had problems too, so branded batteries were not immune. Many of them, I believe, are made by the same people that make third-party batteries - not necesasrily to the same design or exact specification though.

Archived