I have just had an image of a sunrise, taken at Godmanchester on 14 December, published in the national press, two via Alamy. I've offered the photos to my local newspaper for a pretty low fee, but they've declined, saying that they have no budget for submitted photos.

Should I say "OK, you can have it for nothing", with the possibility of a credit plus some exposure? Or do I say "Tough, photographers need to be paid, even if it is a pittance?"

I'd be interested to hear about other people's experience with the local press. Am I wasting my time trying to get them to pay for photos?

Keith

Hi Keith

If I get the same problem as you I normally email them this you tube clip http://tinyurl.com/nkvnx23

Regards

Mal

Great video.

Says it all really !

Hi Keith,

Great photo.  I see you are credited as an Amateur photographer in a paper I saw yesterday.  Hope you got paid and some good comes of it.  They are really are missing some opportunities if they don't pay local photographers. I assume they pay for the photos they use about more national events/news. Maybe bump into you in the area sonn.

Julian

. However, in a rather interesting twist, the photo has appeared in another, slightly less local, daily newspaper, that is owned by the same group. I'm expecting to get paid for that one! (Yes Jules, you are right!)

What you now have is a potential copyright infringement so tread carefully. If you mentioned a figure in your discussions you are probably limited to something if that order, of course allowing for the extra circulation. Hopefully you made it crystal clear that you were not offering it for free and backed up any phone calls with an email.

Hi Keith,

Great photo.  I see you are credited as an Amateur photographer in a paper I saw yesterday.  Hope you got paid and some good comes of it.  They are really are missing some opportunities if they don't pay local photographers. I assume they pay for the photos they use about more national events/news. Maybe bump into you in the area sonn.

Julian

Thanks Jules. Yes, I was surprised to see it in the Cambridge News, given the response I've had before to photos I've submiited to them. This is not the paper that gave me the 'no budget' response that started this thread, by the way. It will be interesting to see what happens about payment. It's slightly complicated because it went via another news agency who contacted me for the details. That's how I was credited as an 'amateur photographer', which I would say is correct, as I don't earn my main living from photography.

You didn't mention that it went through another agency. I had assumed that you meant that you had sent it yourself and the paper had used it.

Of course then you will be paid and there's no question of infringement.

I submitted a set of 5 photos to Alamy and to another news agency. Both of them were successful in getting photos in the national press (some print, some online, some both) - The Times, Metro, Daily Express, Daily Mirror, Star.

Seperately, I sent the images to my 'very local' paper, and it was them who gave me the 'no budget' response. From the 'other' agency, a photo went via a Cambridge based news agency into the Cambridge News print edition. I wait to see what the outcome is concerning payment for that placement, but that aspect has clearly become a bit messy! Hopefully the national newspaper placements and payments should be more straightforward.

Keith

Lately some magazine editor found my blog with interesting photos of man that left big city, sold everything and lives in village now. The very nice lady said she wants to use my images of this reportage and text on their site and paper magazine in print. Her offer was around $300 for all (with text)... Well, not much for reportage but... lets try. She says they have more reportages to do in next year which means constant work for me...

When it came to sign agreement I found they want my images with all rights... Not nice surprise... I told here that the price she offered will be correct for 1 file, not dozens... with all rights sell. She never responded again ;) If she wants to get similar repo she must hire photographer and pay around 400$ for one day working. Only editorial, one use only... Good luck to the lady and her magazine. Maybe some student with cheap camera will do the work to get any money. In the fact, he'll loose more on fuel, food, bed, and time to find this mysterious man...

Archived