There was a news story last week that I had some relevant pics for but the images weren't taken within the previous 48 hrs, would I have been ok to upload them ? 

Only as Reportage not as News - news images only stay in live feed for 48 hours from the event after that it is too late. If it is genuinely newsworthy any delay is to be avoided - that is why I carry a small laptop when shooting news if I am not close to home.

Rereading original post in light of post below I may have misunderstood. If they are file images that have become relevant to current news an email to Alamy news desk is certainly worthwhile - they are very helpful and usually very quick to reply.

If they're relevant Alamy may take them- I had some archive pix of someone who had died. I emailed first and they took them- even wrote the captions for me. They had been taken on an 'unacceptable' compact but of course QC and file size didn't apply. No sales though.

I was told not to upload archival images relevant to a current story onto the news feed.

That would generally be true. As Mark said though, if you really have pictures that you think Alamy would benefit from, then e-mail customer services and ask. They can only say no but equally they may tell you to upload them. 

I guess Alamy take the view (as they did with some "stock"pictures I uploaded related to a news story that news publications will search in the main library. I wonder how true that is when it can be very difficult to focus in on a particular person or location especially if the person has a name like "London" or "Nottingham".

Archived