Sony auto HDR on NEX

I normally shoot raw and process in LR and PS, but I've recently tried the 2 stops auto HDR option on the NEX. If you haven't tried this trick, the camera takes a series of JPG shots in rapid succession and combines them with in the box software.

Success has been variable, occasionally I get blue sky where the raw is white -  maybe retrievable - but on other occasions I find that the auto JPG process can lead to unsightly coloured blotches in shadow areas. Fortunately I spotted this before uploading here! 

Conclusion, if the situation lends itself to a tripod, that's probably the best option coupled with a series of raw shots at different exposures (not that I routinely carry a tripod).  Would like to make more use of the auto HDR feature, but can't trust it. Maybe future iterations will be better.

My present stay in Alamy's Minimum Security facility is because of a few shots I did with the Twilight Hand-held Mode on my RX10, where the camera usually takes three jpeg images and combines them. I haven't tried the HDR feature yet, Bryan. 

My present stay in Alamy's Minimum Security facility is because of a few shots I did with the Twilight Hand-held Mode on my RX10, where the camera usually takes three jpeg images and combines them. I haven't tried the HDR feature yet, Bryan. 

I've submitted a few handheld twilight shots, and they have passed QC. However, I don't upload ones where the camera has chosen very high ISO's, even if they look OK to me. Usually downsize as well.

I've submitted a few handheld twilight shots, and they have passed QC. However, I don't upload ones where the camera has chosen very high ISO's, even if they look OK to me. Usually downsize as well.

Yeah, there are very many in-camera setups, apps and PP techniques at our disposal these days, but let's not forget that no matter which special setting, and RAW, tiff, jpeg or a combination, LR, CS or other, it is the decision to upload a finished image or not that decides our fate with QC. 

I used that setting recently and the results at 100% were absolutely dire. I'll post the pics if anyone is interested.

Archived