I've read in several forums that the new update does not play well with iPads. People say things are slower, some apps don't work, others crash, and people are swearing and mad.

I'm not touching it with a 10 foot pole.

One relative with the iPhone 4S or 5, upgraded and his phone is messed up. My sister said she got a pop up when she installed it in her iPhone 6 that said if the device didn't work properly, to take your device back to where you bought it for a new one.

No sure if that covers older devices.

BEWARE.

Betty

Lots of rumours around however my iPhone 4S works perfectly with iOS8 (in fact just uploaded new 8.1 about an hour ago) - sent some Stockimo images through a little while ago and they’ve been passed, so no problems here.

Very good! My nephew has the 5S and it was trashed by the update. He then ..ah-hem .. "Accidentally" got it wet and told his wife to order him a 6.

I guess iOS 8 was bad. So Apple released 8.1, hoping it would be a fix, but it is buggy, too.

My sister just got the iPhone 6 and she said the update is fine. But went on to say the app where you can charge sales through the phone didn't work. That's one of the things I read that is buggy, among others.

Apparently, it messes with the iPad the worst.

Lots of rumours around however my iPhone 4S works perfectly with iOS8 (in fact just uploaded new 8.1 about an hour ago) - sent some Stockimo images through a little while ago and they’ve been passed, so no problems here.

I updated to IOS 8.1 on my iPhone4S last night after reading your post. Figured I might as well give it a go as I've already gone to Yosemite on my Mac. So far no problems at all. I did it through iTunes on my Mac rather than direct download to the phone as I read that this is a safer way to go, especially if the phone doesn't have a lot of capacity (mine is just a 16Gb)

I might be tempting fate here but it's a bit like reading tabloid headlines and basing decisions on these.  The negatives always sound much louder than the positives (human nature) and it is usually just the negatives that get reported. And every major OS update has problems. The sky is falling on my head - oh no better run for cover. And this is where my phone stops working.

I updated to IOS 8.1 on my iPhone4S last night after reading your post. Figured I might as well give it a go as I've already gone to Yosemite on my Mac. So far no problems at all. I did it through iTunes on my Mac rather than direct download to the phone as I read that this is a safer way to go, especially if the phone doesn't have a lot of capacity (mine is just a 16Gb)

I might be tempting fate here but it's a bit like reading tabloid headlines and basing decisions on these.  The negatives always sound much louder than the positives (human nature) and it is usually just the negatives that get reported. And every major OS update has problems. The sky is falling on my head - oh no better run for cover. And this is where my phone stops working.

Let me know if you have any wi-fi problems (shutting off) since the upgrade.  Mostly reported with the iPad.  Yes, I did read that doing it through iTunes was the best way to go.  I'm going to hold off doing any upgrades on my iPad Air.  I downloaded the upgrade before I heard of the problems, but have not installed it.  When I know the bug fixes are addressed, I'll think of it. 

All is well. All the important things are working so far -  call and text, wifi, Safari, music, Collins Spanish dictionary, British Wildflower ID app. I even had the pleasure of dialing the phone from my Mac this morning to get my son out of bed. The only thing that has not made the journey to IOS8 was my Roll Over Beethoven ringtone. Time I made a new  one anyway.

Seems that one of the problems people are mad about is battery consumption and having their wi-fi drop out. I've had problems with my wi-fi for two years, nothing to do with the update.

I've had my cable provider out and a lot of rewiring done. I bought two new routers, one after the other, then a new modem.

I recently downloaded wi-fi analyzer and it seems thing are okay. But what do I know.

This month, my Android phone kept having the wi-fi button slid to off, without my doing it. Which caused me to unknowingly use data. The only way I found it out was from a warning from my provider that I was getting close to using my monthly data amount. I began watching it closely, and found the button off several times.

There are other things to try, such as different channels, but I am not technically inclined, and it would be tantamount to giving a loaded gun to a five-year-old.

This has been driving me out of my mind. I have to reboot my router 2-3 times a day.

Archived