Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 problem

I haven't used my Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 ED for quite a long time. I fired it up today, and all my scans now have a heavy blue-green colour cast. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, might it be fixable without spending hundreds of dollars? My last repair bill was over $500.

I'm also wondering if uninstalling and then reinstalling the Nikon Scan software (assuming that you can still download it from Nikon) might be a good place to start.

I had a color cast problem once when I didn't insert the slide carrier all the way. Apparently it didn't make full contact. Try giving it a good shove and see if that fixes the problem.

fD

Brilliant. It actually worked! I love fixes like this. The first shove didn't improve things, so I gave it a really big one... and bingo! The colour cast issue appears to have been resolved, and I've also stopped getting annoying hardware error messages, which I've just been ignoring. Many thanks. I owe you one...

Now that's the kind of tech talk I can get behind -- "give it a good shove . . . a good slam . . . a kick in the side."  :)

Hey, we New Yorkers know all about shoving, slamming and kicks in the side ;)

fD

Being a nice Canadian, I wouldn't know. But when push comes to shove, I would rather shove than shell out hundreds of bucks to Nikon for repairs. Been there, done that. B)

Archived