How is this for sale on Alamy?

"work for hire" is a long standing legal term even in the UK. I remember discussing it in relation to patents with my (very British) father in the 1960s. - it was why he had no rights to many of his inventions. He was paid a salary, he headed up the physics department, for the work and used the facilities of the Lace Research Association.

I'm not going to argue with you, much, and I don't doubt it has been used here in the past, but it must have been a nod to the US usage even then.

The term is 'in the course of his employment' and from what I gather doesn't have quite the same meaning as 'work for hire'.

"work for hire" is a long standing legal term even in the UK. I remember discussing it in relation to patents with my (very British) father in the 1960s. - it was why he had no rights to many of his inventions. He was paid a salary, he headed up the physics department, for the work and used the facilities of the Lace Research Association.

I recall that some employment contracts claimed the rights to anything created by the employee, regardless of whether it was in connection with his work or not.

Alan

This photo could have been taken at a photo op with  other news photogs or freelancers shooting it and the band or record company licensed an image to the record company.

I've seen several similar ones thru the years.

With that,maybe someone has scanned their archives or bought a collection of negatives to license out for stock and or prints.

L

Archived