Deleting images in Lightroom

Experienced users of LR will know this, but it caught me out today, so this might help a few folk.

If you delete an image while using a Collection, that image is only deleted from the Collection, not the catalogue, nor your disc.

My workflow normally involves key wording followed by a purge of similars and miscellaneous junk, before backing up the disc. It takes an age while I procrastinate over which of any two images is the weaker etc, so it was very annoying to find that no "real" deletions had occurred. Of course I should have realised that nothing had been removed as the pop up window querying the delete decision was not appearing, but we've been away for 5 weeks and rust has set in.  :(

Bryan

Correct; to delete when in a Collection only removes from the collection - image still on file and on the disc.

If it helps; here is my routine - similar to you but with a twist - when I import I import into a dedicated Working Folder, can be a new folder for each shoot or set of images.  Then do all me selecting and deleting first.  First pass a look with no zoom for a quick general look, then again with zoom for sharpness and focus.  Then I delete from the drive all images I do not want to keep, using folders they are deleted from the disc.

Then I move all the images, into a Permanent Folder and set up a collection for the shoot.  Now if we delete we are refining the collection and if we can get an image back if the delete is a mistake!

Then I do all the key wording, captions and geo tagging, then the development.

From your comments above you need to go into your folders and do some pruning!

My workflow includes marking images as rejected.... Then at suitable points (maybe weekly, maybe longer) I go to the top of the library heirachy for the period and comand-delete (mac), this deletes all rejected photos from the library along with the files.. job done...

I open a new file for each shoot and do an initial retain/reject. Depending on the nature of the rejects I delete them as soon as they are no longer needed. (I may have images with key wording information never intended for use.)

dov

Archived