Ideas needed - colours through the year

Afternoon all

I've been thinking about a personal project to do throughout next year and have come to a sudden block.

Essentially, i'd like to capture nature's colours through the year be it flowers or other natural phenomen such as the Northern Lights.

A year has been broken down to month's rather than seasons but I'm stuck on January; August; October; November and December.

With August, the only thing I can think of is the heather all over the UK.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Jools

PS I'm off tomorrow for a few days so if I don't thank people for the replies etc that's why.

January = Grey.

August  = Brightest colours. (Its my birthday)

October = Reds, Yellows.

November = Grey. (again)

December = White. (if you can find it)

Allan

January = Grey.

August  = Brightest colours. (Its my birthday)

October = Reds, Yellows.

November = Grey. (again)

December = White. (if you can find it)

Allan

Having spent a few years working outside in the UK, I would associate August more with grey than any other month!  Often hot and humid, with grey skies and a downpour often just around the corner!

Having spent a few years working outside in the UK, I would associate August more with grey than any other month!  Often hot and humid, with grey skies and a downpour often just around the corner!

One can hope/wish.  B)

Allan

Jan/Feb - Snowdrops

March - Daffodils / new growth of all kinds

Apr/May - Bluebells / Rape Seed

June/July - Poppies

July/August - Lavender / Sunflowers

September/October - Autumnal trees

November/December - Berries

It's difficult...but the only flower that automatically springs to mind for August is lavender.

Thanks Danny

I'd forgotten about snowdrops! They are in abundance round here in January.

Lavender though is only July. Well, at least in Provence.

Berries, cool. Hadn't considered that as a potential one:)

Any more? Anyone else?

Hyacinths in December / January - pinks, purple / lilac, white......  there are also the small outdoor grape hyacinths in January / February.  I like seeing drifts of crocus in the early spring too, they always look really fresh and bright.

What about lilacs?  I always think they are a bit forgotten, or images show lilac trees in a garden, rather than focussing on the flowers themselves.

Crocosmia (Lucifer) flowers all the way into September and sometimes beyond and has a range of colours from orange through to scarlet, so might be one for autumn. 

Could you perhaps do something with how you associate the scents of particular flowers with certain months or places?  I associate the scent of honeysuckle with June / July and I can't have a sniff of jasmine without thinking of Rome - just an idea.

Or perhaps you could illustrate the common sayings about months and / or the other things associated with them - you know, flaming June, March winds, April showers, Bonfire night (Uk, I suppose), Halloween.....

That's my tuppence....

Archived