ACR Photo Rating System

Do any of you guys use the ACR photo rating system?

I have found it to be exceptionally handy for grading my images on sharpness at 100%

5 stars for perfect

4 stars for very good, may have to compress a bit

3 stars for definitely will have to compress down to 3600x2400

Anything less and its either trash or maybe good at lower resolution for FAA

Jill

Of late I have been working on the basis that I only submit perfect to Alamy, been doing it for clients for ever. The only exception would be an otherwise exceptional and unrepeatable image that was 4 (or maybe 3) but it would have to bery special, probably globally newsworthy and historic despite the flaws.

But then I am desperately trying to build a reputation and business from scratch and don't believe second rate will hack it in the current market. My previous photographic reputation is a distant memory.

I use * ratings in both Lightroom (social photography and stock) and Photomechanic (news/editorial/sports shooting) but not as you describe Jill.

I'll do a first edit-in on a set and give those a 1* which effectively allows me to exclude anything that doesn't get edited-in (weak composition, focus issue, quality issue, duplicate). Then everything that is a 1* is reviewed again. I could upload any of them as they will pass my basic quality test. That will depend if it is a stock shoot, portrait shoot, or sports/news shoot as that will govern the number of images I'll look to deliver.

Depending on the set of images I might then grade higher for various reasons. Typically those are:

- 3* might make the blog

- 4* might make a slideshow on my website / portfolio material

- 5* competition candidate

I'm with Martin on this - if it isn't good enough to pass a QA inspection then it probably doesn't even get the 1* to edit it in, unless it was unique and newsworthy.

My system has just two purely visual ratings: "Good enough" and "Not good enough". I've only been wrong once in over 5 years and that was when I said "Not good enough... but I really like it so maybe it'll just scrape through".

I won't be doing that again.

Alan

My system has just two purely visual ratings: "Good enough" and "Not good enough". I've only been wrong once in over 5 years and that was when I said "Not good enough... but I really like it so maybe it'll just scrape through".

I won't be doing that again.

Alan

All the pics from 3-5 are good enough. Many shots brought down to 3600x2400 end up sharp as a tack. I don't see any reason not to upload them. All have passed that I have done with this. My only failed pic is of an accidental upload of one I had saved for FAA. 

Jill

Whenever I've tried downsizing a slightly unsharp image it hasn't improved it significantly, so I gave up in the end and just judge my pics at full size.

Alan

I use the Bridge rating system as follows;

Open the editing folder in Bridge, and rate all raw images in the editing folder as 3

Rate image rejects as a 2, and set up Bridge to not display 2. This means that anything rated 2 instantly disappears from the display, but is not deleted from the hard drive yet, in case you change your mind. You can always re display a 2 if you think you have made a mistake.

Rate accepted images as 4. Set up Bridge to display both 4 and 3

Edit until only images rated as 4 are left in the display. Every 3 has either been declared a 2 or a 4 and the images rated 2 have disappeared from the display.

Only images rated 4 should now be displayed. Process all images rated 4 in ACR.

Keyword all images rated 4 in Bridge. When an image has been keyworded, rate it as a 5. Do not yet display images rated 5, so they disappear from the display as you finish keywording them.

Now the display is empty as keywording and ACR processing is finished, and all 4 images are rated as 5. Now set up Bridge to only display 5.

Take all raw images rated 5 into ACR and output a jpg for Alamy.

In Bridge select all raw images rated 5 and move them over to your archive Hard Drive.

In your system delete the edit folder that now only contains raw images rated 2.

Archived