Property Release for Dogs?

Hi

I have a number of images of my partners Dog up for sale I have selected 'NO' to the section that asks whether I have a property release for commercial use because I thought because its a dog it didn't need it. So with that in mind what should I have the images as seeing though it is technically our dog? Am I jeopardising sales by selecting NO where as I should be selecting YES. Does this make sense?

Thanks

Pet packaging and advertising pays well (pet food, toys, treats, etc) but a release is almost always required and with all t's crossed and i's dotted. Companies pay a small fortune for design and development for thier packaging and don't want to be set back with image rights issues. For editorial use no release required.

Thanks for the reply, I'm referring to specifically a Dog (Our dog) the only reason I posted the question is because I thought I'd refresh on the FAQ pages with rights and licenses etc.

I have taken a number of pics of him but as mentioned I have selected No in the release sections of Attributes. I think I need to change that now then??

If it's a particular famous dog (i.e. Lassie, Rin Tin Tin, etc.) then yes, a release is needed.  If it's just a relatively non-recognizable, generic dog, then generally speaking, no release is required.

I have various dogs and cats in my portfolio that were shot over white.  They were shot in agreement with the local municipal animal shelter.  No release required.

I've licensed images 4 times...unfortunately all were novel use so I can't say how they were used aside from the assumption they were used for a charitable purpose.

The correct entry for the Alamy question "Does this Image contain property that needs release for commercial use" is YES. The dog is owned by your partner.

As you know the owner,it should be easy for you to get a signed property release and upload it.

If you partner refuses to sign the property release then it's even more important that you answer YES to "Does this image contain property need a release for commercial use" and NO to "Do you have property releases"

Like others have mentioned having a property release for a pet greatly increases its chances of being used by a non-editorial source. For that I reason I have property releases for images of my dog because a potential image purchaser does not know it is my dog but can see a release is available.

Chris

Archived