Nikon D700 screen problem.

A bit of a nuisance really as I am off to scotland at the end of this week...but anyway I have just put a fresh battery in my low milage D700 so as I could clean the sensor and when turning the camera back on and pressing the menu, the whole screen has now turned grey with some white lines across it the camera still works and takes pictures, shutter speeds & apertures adjust ok every thing seems to work apart from the screen...I have tried the two button reset and left the battery out for half an hour but it is still not working... any ideas or is it probably a case of sending it in to Nikon.

upset me... no... last year it was my sigma 50-500 os that packed up the week before I went to scotland.. :(

Steve.

Assuming the camera is working and you can see your menus could you not live with it for the duration?Personally I rarely use mine to view pictures anyway. I could certainly manage without doing it for a trip.

Assuming the camera is working and you can see your menus could you not live with it for the duration?Personally I rarely use mine to view pictures anyway. I could certainly manage without doing it for a trip.

I was just wondering if the same problem has happened to anyone else on the forum and perhaps there was a magic cure, I have got a d300s and a d90 as well but prefer to use the d700 for it's high iso low noise..mind you thinking about it I will be taking my Mamiya RB 67 with me and using it, so using a D700 without menu on the rear screen shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Steve.

Have heard of similar, are you using a hand-grip? If so, try without. If not, the screen may be kaput and that won't be cheap to rectify.

dd

Your screen problem hasn't happened to my D700, but how about if you try a software update, regardless of whether you need one?

(I do have super thin lines of varIous colors very slowly multiplying along left side of my LaCie 325 monitor.)

Anyway, good luck, Steve - I had to bring my main body and then my main lens to Nikon recently - not fun.

Have heard of similar, are you using a hand-grip? If so, try without. If not, the screen may be kaput and that won't be cheap to rectify.

dd

I sometimes use a grip on the d700 but it hasn't got one on at the moment, so sadly thats not the probem thanks for the thought though..This D700 has only got around 4000 actuations on it so it's still worth repairing, but I think you are right it wont be cheap.

Steve.

Your screen problem hasn't happened to my D700, but how about if you try a software update, regardless of whether you need one?

(I do have super thin lines of varIous colors very slowly multiplying along left side of my LaCie 325 monitor.)

Anyway, good luck, Steve - I had to bring my main body and then my main lens to Nikon recently - not fun.

Thanks for the reply ann, I will see if I can upgrade the firmware. The problem is I cant see the menu screen  to do it, but there is a chance if I plug the camera into my laptop  via HDMI I might be able to see the menu on the laptop screen and then give it a try.

Steve.

This D700 was one that I purchased with a low shutter count about three months ago, so I phoned the company this morning and they have told me to take it to the Nikon uk repair center in kingston london ( so a quick journey to London was made) and it looks as if they will honour the warranty..so fingers crossed :) . The people at nikon are even going to try and get it back for me by friday ( wait and see with fingers crossed again ) I was told it could be anything from a simple fuse gone inside the camera or the whole board could need replacing.... anyway things are looking up.

Steve.

Update on the D700 screen problem..

As I said in the earlier post I dropped the camera into Nikon Uk on Tuesday lunchtime for them to have a look... ( I was told the turn a round was two weeks at the moment,  but as I was off on a trip they would see if they could push it through quicker )

I have just had a phone call this afternoon to say that it has been looked at and the circuit board needed replacing and it has all been done ready for my collection in the morning and even better Mifsuds in Brixham whom I purchased the camera body off have picked up the bill..( thank you Mifsuds )

So credit where it's due Christine at Nikon UK along with the repair guys really pulled the stops out on this one..Well done Nikon :)

Steve.

Wow, that was quick repair & happy ending, Steve - congratulations! 

It was about a 2 week turn-around from dropping off main camera under warranty, and separately, main lens, to getting each back in mail.

Need to find a Nikon Professional Services member to vouch I'm a full time photographer, so I can complete my registration & have chance to qualify for faster repair service.

- Ann

Wow, that was quick repair & happy ending, Steve - congratulations! 

It was about a 2 week turn-around from dropping off main camera under warranty, and separately, main lens, to getting each back in mail.

Need to find a Nikon Professional Services member to vouch I'm a full time photographer, so I can complete my registration & have chance to qualify for faster repair service.

- Ann

Yes I was very pleased with the outcome, I am only registered as NPU member and was very pleased with the turn around and to be honest 2  x 140 mile return trips to get my camera back for my trip was well worth it.. nice friendly staff as well.

Steve

Archived