I'm wondering, Peter, which Kindle you have? I now have the White Paper, the one we can light up. But for tech guides I think a color iPad would work better, because of all the illustrations and charts. I bought a Nikon D700 guide for Kindle some years ago and found it useless. Come to think of it, I have a mini iPad but without 2G or 4G. I can go to a hot wi-fi spot and put it on my iPad, I think. 

This sells for $9.99 in the States.  http://www.amazon.com/Photographers-Guide-Sony-DSC-RX10-Advanced-ebook/dp/B00JH243SC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396714710&sr=8-1&keywords=Photographer%27s+Guide+to+the+Sony+DSC-RX10%3A+Getting+the+Most+from+Sony%27s+Advanced+Compact+Camera+%5BKindle+Edition%5D

Edo

I'm wondering, Peter, which Kindle you have? I now have the White Paper, the one we can light up. But for tech guides I think a color iPad would work better, because of all the illustrations and charts. I bought a Nikon D700 guide for Kindle some years ago and found it useless. Come to think of it, I have a mini iPad but without 2G or 4G. I can go to a hot wi-fi spot and put it on my iPad, I think. 

This sells for $9.99 in the States.  http://www.amazon.com/Photographers-Guide-Sony-DSC-RX10-Advanced-ebook/dp/B00JH243SC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396714710&sr=8-1&keywords=Photographer%27s+Guide+to+the+Sony+DSC-RX10%3A+Getting+the+Most+from+Sony%27s+Advanced+Compact+Camera+%5BKindle+Edition%5D

Edo

You can download the Kindle app for your desktop and see it as you would on an iPad or iPhone. I start off with that when I buy a book on Amazon and then hit the book icon on my iPad when I have more time to read it.

Edo

Edo,

I do not have a Kindle or indeed any kind of tablet or so-called "Smart" phone.   I use a lap top running Win7 at home, and have a small one that runs Win 8.1 when away from home for any length of time.  I have BT as my ISP so I can connect free of (extra) charge at a multitude of hot spots.

I have the Kindle software on both of these computers.   Kindle allows you to buy the book and run it on more than one macthine,   Kindle has been trouble free for me, until now.  The RX10 book required me to download and install a new version of Kindle software.  Anyhow it works OK now.

Peter

Thanks, Linda and Peter . . . I'm overloaded with possibilities.  :)

Frankly, I would rather have it on my iMac desktop. I'll sort it out before I buy the guide. 

>>Okay -- I bought the guide and directed it to open in my Cloud Reader, and there it is. About here I'd say something nice, something positive, about digital tech knowledge, but I still haven't figured out how to set up my new phone yet to take messages . . . and it's a dumb phone, the kind they call "a throwaway" on cop shows. 

I have the Kindle Paper White, too.  Before that, I downloaded books to "Kindle for Mac".  I read them on my Macbook Pro.  Love the Kindle.  Anyone interested, try Book Bub. It's free.  Join, list your reading preferences.  Suspense, biographies, etc.  A lot of free books offered, or ones for .99. A lot of new authors  are self publishing and you know it with the errors in spelling.  Yet I read one thriller that was as good as one by James Patterson.  In fact, I bought a Patterson book from Amazon and was disappointed, and this unknown author book was better!! 

I find some really bad ones...but they are free so I just get rid of them after a chapter or so.  I have found some gems, though, that were as good as the popular titles I have read for years.  Once in awhile, I cut loose for a $8 or $9 one by a well-known author just doing a search on Kindle.   Book bub, once you sign up, will send you a  small list of book offerings every day. Some free, some .99 up to 2.99 or so. I look them over, maybe download one or two or reject them all.  I haven't bought a paperback in 6 months.

Not sure you can set up a dumb phone to take messages.  Doesn't one have to subscribe for that? It's been too long for me, I forgot. Ed, my kids have always helped me with my phone setups, :).

Betty

I have a rule: I must read one literary book or history for every two thrillers I read.  There was a time when I was a copy editor and could not read fiction for pleasure. I would copy read it. Drove me nuts. I decided to try the first Kindle to see if I could fool myself into reading without copy reading . . . and it worked! 

There are a lot of people who cannot or will not move from books to e-readers. I've not had that problem. As soon as I read a paragraph the medium disappears. 

Anyway, I'm happy having the RX10 guide on my iMac. 

My Nokia mobile phone is also a "throwaway",  It was already outdated "last years" techology when I bought it in 2003.  It do not use it much, but it works for me when I need it. 

I am not really a convert to e-books yet, but I am tempted to get a Kindle.   The screen part of my netbook detaches and can be used without the keyboard, but it is uncomfortably heavy compared to a Kindle. 

I enjoy going into bookshops and browsing around and I do my bit to keep them alive, it would be a great loss if they were to go the same way as camera shops and dinosaurs.

Storage space at home for books is an ever present problem but I like them!    I am a convert to e-books for things like these camera or software reference books which are unlikely to be a long term need.  A Kindle would also be good for magazines but maybe getting one would be the thn end of the wedge....

Archived