Nikon SB800 used remotely with X-T1?

Still waiting for my Fuji X-T1 (c'mon, B&H).  Meanwhile, I'm trying to get my ducks in a row.  I've been asking around whether I can use my Nikon SB800 off camera as a slave with the Fuji when it comes in, like for portraits.  I'm anticipating that 56mm portrait lens! 

I'm told I can, by using the flash in SU-4?? I believe, manual.  Then set the Fuji flash to manual.  Possibly putting a white card in front of the Fuji flash so it doesn't contribute to the scene but triggers the SB800.   There would be no TTL, so I'd have to figure out what strength to set the flash.

Any of you tried anything like this, and if so, any tips?  Is it difficult?

One response I had was to set the fstop on the camera and match it on the flash. Above my pay grade to understand the technical aspect. :) But I'm good at writing down instructions.

Betty

Betty

To use an on-camera flash to trigger studio lights without lighting the subject a trick that helped me was to use a strip of processed unexposed (black) transparency film as a filter. Just a bit of tape to hold it over the flash window. It allows through the infra-red but not the visible light. Reminded of it when I recently rediscovered my Vivitar 283 with film still on! It should work with the SB800 if it will work as a dumb slave.

I guess the problem now would be finding that piece of slide film (I used to stick some in my neg files from time to time just in case).

Betty

To use an on-camera flash to trigger studio lights without lighting the subject a trick that helped me was to use a strip of processed unexposed (black) transparency film as a filter. Just a bit of tape to hold it over the flash window. It allows through the infra-red but not the visible light. Reminded of it when I recently rediscovered my Vivitar 283 with film still on! It should work with the SB800 if it will work as a dumb slave.

I guess the problem now would be finding that piece of slide film (I used to stick some in my neg files from time to time just in case).

Interesting. I'll have to dig out that large garment box stored under the bed that contains all of my slide work and see if I have a scrap from the film.  I did see a review for a good wireless unit that is cheaper than pocket wizards. I'll take another look at it.

IMO the big pluses with Pocket Wizard is that you can synchronize at higher speeds and adjust output remotely. The minus is the price. Depends on your priorities and the nature of your usage. The big plus with any wireless unit is that you are less likely to have your lights triggered by other flash users.

dov

IMO the big pluses with Pocket Wizard is that you can synchronize at higher speeds and adjust output remotely. The minus is the price. Depends on your priorities and the nature of your usage. The big plus with any wireless unit is that you are less likely to have your lights triggered by other flash users.

dov

OK, I'm looking at Pocket Wizards, but there are different ones.  If I want to have two Nikon Speedlights in use, what PW set would I get?  If I can know that, and can determine the price,  I can compare with the Phottix Strato 11 Multi 5 in 1 for Nikon triggering system.  Thanks for your suggestions.

dov, what is the higher speed limits?

The Phottix system here has 2 receivers.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00685QZGO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_img?_encoding=UTF8&colid=UBI8J7ANMSL3&coliid=I3E0GYZKA9AAN4

Another option is the Yongnuo triggers. A lot cheaper and work well with the Fuji system. Max sync speed of the X-T1 will be 180, although people have reported upto 200 with these triggers. These are the RF603 II triggers that no longer need any modification to work, unlike version one. 

Check out this thread here for full details of compatible triggers. 

Another option is the Yongnuo triggers. A lot cheaper and work well with the Fuji system. Max sync speed of the X-T1 will be 180, although people have reported upto 200 with these triggers. These are the RF603 II triggers that no longer need any modification to work, unlike version one. 

I am a member of the Fuji forum.  This thread is about the X-Pro1, so not positive they will all work for X-T1.  I would assume so, seems most of these units work on all the X cameras.

I am a member of the Fuji forum.  This thread is about the X-Pro1, so not positive they will all work for X-T1.  I would assume so, seems most of these units work on all the X cameras.

The Yongnuo triggers that I used with the X Pro1 work on the X-T1 without any problems. They also work on the X-E1 etc so as you say, it seems if they work on one they will work on all X Cams. I have a pair of the new RF 603II's on the way so I will post how I get on with them.... once I have both triggers and camera again :-)

The Yongnuo triggers that I used with the X Pro1 work on the X-T1 without any problems. They also work on the X-E1 etc so as you say, it seems if they work on one they will work on all X Cams. I have a pair of the new RF 603II's on the way so I will post how I get on with them.... once I have both triggers and camera again :-)

That sounds promising. I did note that the Yongnuo triggers were way cheaper than the others I've looked at.  I'll look forward to your post on how the new ones work for you.

Checked your link, Duncan, it says they are for Nikon cameras.  What works with X-T1 and Nikon SB800s?  This stuff is confusing for me.

I personally use a the Canon one (i don't have any Nikons) but as you do, it would be more useful to go with that one. However, I haven't found anything conclusive that the Nikon versions will work with Fuji.  It might be worth while posting that question to that thread. If you already have Nikon flashes it would be better to make use of them. As the centre pin is the only one used by Fuji Cams and is responsible for telling the flash to trigger, the Canon version may well trigger the Nikon flashes just without the TTL.

My current setup for flashes with the X Cam system is 1x EF-X20 for small portable use and 2x Yongnuo 560III with built in receivers. These flashes are very well made and excellent value. They cost about £50 each and have a good solid feel to them. They are, of course, fully manual but Yongnuo are due to release a new trigger quite soon that will allow you to set the power of these flash units (each one separately) from the transmitter on the camera. For this reason I ordered a couple of cheaper RF603CII (£23) as they have a faster sync than the RF600 I currently use. 

Checked your link, Duncan, it says they are for Nikon cameras.  What works with X-T1 and Nikon SB800s?  This stuff is confusing for me.

I have used the Cactus V5 transceivers with my X-T1 in combination with Nikon SB-600 and Alien Bees studio strobes without any problems.

The latest on my quest.  I found out about CheetahStand.com on the Fuji X forum.  I went to the site about 3:30 p.m. on Monday this week, and of course, didn't understand much about the products offered. There was a comment or question box available, so I asked if there was something that would allow me to fire my SB800s with the X-T1.  I had filled out my email info and phone #, and expected to get an email answer in a day or two.

10 minutes after I sent that off, my phone rang.  It was Edward calling, who owns/runs the place, and is known for superior customer service.  Well...YEAH!

We discussed what I want.  I told him I would like to be able to use either one, sometimes two, of the speedlights.

Edward directed me to the proper product on his website.

I thanked him and said I would be placing an order, which I did soon as I hung up the phone.  I ordered the Rook wireless set for Nikon, and an extra Rook receiver for Nikon.

30 minutes later, I got an email saying Your order has shipped.   What? !!!

The next morning, about 10 a.m., here came FedEx with my package.

Of course, I can't test it out because I still don't have my backordered camera, but hey, talk about customer service.

I am in Oklahoma City and CheetahStand is located in Dallas, about 400 miles away. Even so, 18 hours is amazing.  The whole order, including shipping, cost $118.98.

I might add, Edward is Asian, so there was a bit of language barrier for me since my brain doesn't handle accents well.  And the directions that came in the box are obviously written by him or someone else Asian, and aren't the easiest for me to understand, especially since I have never got on well with manuals.  It will be interesting to see whether I can figure out how to work them.  I would imagine, though, if I ran down to Dallas (I wouldn't), Edward would be happy to show me exactly what to do.  That's how great he is.

Archived