Paris - is the unfriendliest city for photographers?

SSIA

As I am running out of the "normal" shots to get I'm starting to pursue other interests. It seems to me that the city of Paris is rude when it comes to photographers.

Last year, I found someone in the town hall who was incredibly helpful but today I've just spoken to someone who was just downright rude and unhelpful. Their fees to are getting outrageous!!!

One example of the over the topness rife in Paris was a recent request to photograph from a certain institute. The fee? 5000€!!! Yes, you did read that right.

Italy on the other hand is fast becoming a must go destination for me as they seem to be extremely helpful and in the case of fees they are very reasonable.

Out of curiosity, what other cities are like Paris?

New York used to be very rude, or so they seemed. I always thought they were more abrupt and in a hurry than purposely rude. We are much better with strangers now. I think 9/11 made a difference; we received a lot of help, sympathy and a good attitude from the rest of America and the world. I spent 10 days in Paris less than a year after the Towers came down, and the Parisians went out of their way to be kind and helpful . All? 100%? No, of course not, but the general feeling, especially from the young, was positive. And I don't even speak French. 

They have a tradition of grouchiness to maintain in Paris. Maybe that's what they're doing?

I don't know Ed. Other cities outside of Paris seem a lot more accomodating. And as mentioned, Italy is fastt becoming a must go to place for me because of their helpfullness.

Was talking to a place in Venice yesterday and was astounded by how LOW the cost was of photographing a particular place. It's such a steal that I may take advantage of it twice when I'm there.

I do love Paris but it is becoming a pain in the backside.

Hundreds of thousands of Parisians have left France since the last elections for a reason. With taxes going up to 75% one cannot be surprised that they are sometimes grouchy or downright rude. No doubt this phase will pass in due course. In the meantime Paris's loss has been London's gain.

dov

Archived