Ban on street photography in Hungary...

According to the justice ministry, people taking pictures should look out for those "who are not waving, or who are trying to hide or running out of shot".

Huh?

Check out the article at http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/14/hungary-law-photography-permission-take-pictures

It,s bonkers!. if we have to ask everyone's permission prior to taking a picture the moment we are trying to capture will be lost.

How the hell will they be able to enforce it?.

Maybe you have to leave phones and anything built in with a camera at the airport? Like how North Korea does it. (Google it)

So if i go there, and i use my phone for a phone or Skype call and it has a camera pointing at a building or something and some boring no life person walks in and calls the cops because in that article it says it is illegal to have anyone in that image. what will happen to me/us? I know, Maybe ill have to go the naughty corner or step for a little time out?

Under E.U. Guidelines this should be deemed an illegal-law (there's a paragraph in it somewhere which allows for protection of taking photos in public places like some fair use thing, I read ages ago when I was still in high school)

Are they going to take away people's iPhones or any-phone with a camera built in? Sith Lord McApple won't be happy!

My guess is that we are going to see more "bans" like this in the near future. People everywhere are getting very touchy about being photographed, especially in the so-called "developed world." Personally, I can't blame them. You never know where your likeness will end up these days and who will use it for what means.

Personally I think it is due in some way to those who take photos or videos on their iPhones/smartphones of people in the street, or elsewhere, in what could be construed as "funny or compromising" positions/situations, then post them on the internet.

Just realised I have said the same thing as you John but in a different way.

Allan

My guess is the politicians don't want to be 'caught with their pants down' or doing the 'walk of shame' from their mistresses houses and that's why they probably changed the law! :rolleyes:

L

John and Allen above have I think identified one of the main reasons why such a law might come into being . . . I'd speculate that the sort of surreptitious type street photography some here advocate could also throw fuel onto the fires that drive this sort of legislation.

dd

I think that a few individuals with a prejudice & in a position to change the law have listened to a shouts of a few individuals who share the same prejudice! After-all those with a prejudice will always shout louder than those who don't give a hoot.

Henri Cartier-Bresson (master of street photography) just turned over in his grave, as his candid stealthy style relied on not asking "You must be like a cat & not be noticed" :ph34r:

Parm

Archived