Using a tripod as a monopod

That's a len-n-sszzz support John...and don't forget the nifty mini compass included on the strap. :D

Glad to hear you're sticking with lenses. Better watch out for the guy pictured in the upper right hand corner, though:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/617UijftckL._SL1500_.jpg

Well, spent Saturday at the zoo and decided to leave the tripod in the car. Since it was real busy, I ended up parking quite a ways away and was afraid I would get to the entrance and they wouldn't let me in with the tripod. Of course once in, I must have run into 10 people with tripods. And I sure could have used one. I did find the camera and lens combo heavy and by the end of the day I could visibly see my hand shake when holding the camera.

So I went back this morning first thing (as I didn't even get a chance to take any shots of the polar bear cub on Saturday) and started off with Humphrey the cub and what a difference taking the tripod made. Shots were much better, And not one zoo employee stopped me from setting up the tripod. With the long lens, I did notice that when shooting through glass, the farther away my subject was, the more distortion I would notice.

Will take the tripod with me now every time.

Jill

Ah, all's well that ends well. It looks as if a tripod is not a zoo issue, especial if you see numbers of people using them on a busy Saturday. 

This is part of the rules at NYC's Bronx Zoo:

"Non-commercial photography for personal use is allowed, but tripods are restricted in several exhibits, and at the discretion of zoo staff. Commercial photography and filming requests must go through the Communications Department. Please send your request to mpulsinelli@wcs.org."

Weather permitting you are probably better off shooting on a presumably quieter weekday at the zoo.  I know I would enjoy shooting with fewer people jostling for a position at the rail.

Normally I do, but since I only had a chance to have the 100-400 for the weekend, my choices were made for me. And with the busier weekend, they had the Bald Eagle out for a meet and greet so got some great shots there. 32 year old Eagle. He was stunning!

Jill

Archived