Nex 6 and 7 replacement

It's all over the Internet but here's an example

Ticks many boxes for me, but very disappointed to see that the EVF appears to have been downgraded from that on the NEX 6. 

The auto focus is reckoned to be much improved, but until there are reasonably priced zoom lenses available that can deliver image sharpness across the frame, this is of limited usefulness.

Inclined to agree. I've used Sony since they took over from Minolta, but I'm just getting bored by the constant rolling out of models where one feature is downgraded and another is improved, as if they just want to p*ss potential buyers off by making choices difficult or impossible.

I am using a couple of Nikons right now, regular DSLRs, but in this price range - the D3300 and D5300. The D3300 is cheap but with an excellent sensor (24mp non-AA) exactly the same as the D5300 (I know that because I process the raws by spoofing the EXIF using EXIFTool). The D5300 adds WiFi and GPS and a magnesium body and just that bit more all round. The distinction is clear, but you do not have to choose BETWEEN have WiFi and GPS or accept a different sensor or viewfinder to get one or the other.

Nikon has also made a new 18-55mm collapsible kit lens. This lens is a complete revolution in terms of quality. It's on a level so far above the existing 18-58mm non collapsible VR that it is hard to believe (check Nikon's MTF charts - that's what I did after using the lens and realising how extremely good it is, and the MTF charts confirm what I thought - it's probably the best 18-55mm kit lens yet made, by any maker). That really is advancing things. Sony still has the same mediocre quality control which means that no matter how good any of their lenses might be in theory. two-thirds of them are below the best standard a professional/advanced user would want.

Oh no, not another Sony!

Yes, Sony's add and subtract approach to cameras is really aggravating. Must say, though, that I'm really happy with my new NEX-6 so far. It's quite a complete little package (it has everything I need, anyway), and I plan to keep using it for as long as possible. However, what David has to say about Sony's quality control is distressing. The NEX camera bodies certainly seem to be well made, and the external finish on the e-mount lenses is a lot better than on some of the Sony A-mount lenses that I've used. It's what's inside that really counts, of course.

Thanks for the link, Bryan. Thou shalt not covet...

Just eyeballing them, do the new Sonys not look somewhat larger that the present NEX-6 and -7?  

Looks as if the A6000 is about the same size as the NEX-6, just a wee bit heavier:

A6000  dimensions

Weight 285g   Width 120mm   Height 66.9mm   Depth 45.1mm

NEX-6 dimensions

Weight 345g   Width 119.9mm   Height 66.9mm   Depth 42.6mm

I see that the A6000 body is going for about $650 here in Canada (link below), which is a pretty good price for a 24 MP camera. Please don't tempt me, Sony.

http://store.sony.ca/mirrorless-dslr-camera-zid31-ILCE6000B/cat-31-catid-Alpha-Mirrorless-Cameras?_t=pfm%3Dcategory

Likewise, I'm a bit fed up with Sony's approach at the moment. They are not flavour of the month with me following a substantial argument I had with them over a problem I had with their A7.

Like John I'm happy with my NEX 6 and the Zeiss 24 thats permanently glued to it. Also my 5N and the Sigma lenses which I absolutely love and would not be without. I have absolutely no intention whatsoever of investing money in the so called NEX replacement.

Rather than putting R and D into bodies they need to come up with some decent bloody lenses!!!!!

The only decent lenses available are the Zeiss 24 and the three Sigmas. 

I'm actually finding that I'm getting better results with my three Sony e-mount lenses since I switched to the NEX-6 (was using the NEX-3 before). Guess I lucked out and got one of the better versions of the Sony 18-55. I don't find this to be a bad lens at all for general photography. Being a zoom addict, I also quite like the 55-210. Wish the image stabilization was better, though, and it was a bit faster, but I can cope with these shortcomings. It doesn't look as if Sigma and Tamron are exactly in a rush to come out with some reasonably priced alternatives, which is too bad. If I had the dough, I'd probably run out and buy the Zeiss 16-70, even if it didn't exactly get stellar reviews. For the time being, I'm a fairly happy camper. It's more important to concentrate on taking photos than getting caught up in the never-ending new equipment circus IMO.

Couldn't agree more about the "never ending new equipment circus" John. Its becoming incredibly tedious, and I've made my mind up that I'm staying out of it for 2014. I am sticking with what I'm using right now.

You're lucky getting Sony lenses that work. To be fair, there are good copies about, I have just been unlucky I guess. It would be nice to think that Sigma could get their ass in gear and produce a few more lenses, but with the speed at which the camera manufacturers, not least Sony change their specs, one can see why they are a bit shy of committing.

Couldn't agree more about the "never ending new equipment circus" John. Its becoming incredibly tedious, and I've made my mind up that I'm staying out of it for 2014. I am sticking with what I'm using right now.

You're lucky getting Sony lenses that work. To be fair, there are good copies about, I have just been unlucky I guess. It would be nice to think that Sigma could get their ass in gear and produce a few more lenses, but with the speed at which the camera manufacturers, not least Sony change their specs, one can see why they are a bit shy of committing.

I think that one of the reasons Sigma et al might not want to delve further into the NEX lens market might be that Sony seems reluctant to make firmware updates available for third-party lenses. This means that any new non-Sony/Zeiss lenses would probably not be compatible with the newer hybrid (contrast plus phase detect) AF systems, such as that of the NEX-6. Too bad because the market is ripe for the plucking. David, our resident Sony guru, who now uses Nikons, no doubt knows more about this. 

. . . and I'm wondering if the manufacturers are elbowing us into making 24MP or more a new needed normal? 16MP is just fine with me, but I do feel the pressure. 

That certainly is the case with point-and-shoot cameras. The manufacturers kept cramming more and more pixels onto tiny sensors so that they could sucker people into buying the next new model. However, that game could have reached its limit now, so it might be time for them to start working on the APS-C crowd (i.e. us). I too am OK with 16 MP. I really like the looks of images from the NEX-6 (big improvement over Sony's 14 MP sensor IMO), and the files are more than large enough for editorial uses. 

John - I don't 'use Nikons' because I used whatever I have at the time, and right now I have two Nikons and I am indeed picking them up for most photography. I had to let the Fuji X-T1 go to Richard K for review (for only a week...) and he's just got a Nikon Df as well, for an unspecified period. In the last year we've used just about every make apart from Panasonic between us, otherwise, it's not possible to write any sensible review or comparison.

What you may find interesting is that I have too many Sony cameras and actually own them, but often can't find a single one which will do the job I want to do at the time... even though if I just had one, I'd use it.

John - I don't 'use Nikons' because I used whatever I have at the time, and right now I have two Nikons and I am indeed picking them up for most photography. I had to let the Fuji X-T1 go to Richard K for review (for only a week...) and he's just got a Nikon Df as well, for an unspecified period. In the last year we've used just about every make apart from Panasonic between us, otherwise, it's not possible to write any sensible review or comparison.

What you may find interesting is that I have too many Sony cameras and actually own them, but often can't find a single one which will do the job I want to do at the time... even though if I just had one, I'd use it.

I always appreciate your insights, David, no matter what camera you happen to be using. When it comes to quality control, which lens manufacturers do you find stand out these days? It's interesting that, as far I remember, equipment reviewers back in the film days never used to talk as much as they do now about optical inconsistencies among different lenses. But then they didn't turn out new models at the rate they do now.

Interesting preview of the a6000 on dpreview (see link below). Sony seems to be moving towards using phase-detection AF -- which so far only works with Sony lenses, I believe -- with its NEX-like cameras.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sony-alpha-a6000

Other than having more phase-detect pixels and a 24 MP processor, the a6000 doesn't seem all that different from the NEX-6. Strange that Sony downgraded the EVF, a typical Sony cost-cutting move, I suppose.

Archived