I have some b&w images dating from the late 70's, showing a technician operating a machine used for pressing vinyl records. I scanned the 35mm negs with a Nikon Coolscan 9000ed. Having had a few scans rejected by QC, I'm afraid to go in the bad boys corner for a month if those images fail. Is there a special archive upload, similar to News image upload, that I can use to submit those pics? 

Yes, you need to persuade Alamy that you have available genuine archive images, rather than try to use this as a means for bypassing QC - by reference to a web site for example - when you will be allowed to upload stuff of a poorer technical quality. The images are marked archival, which informs customers that the normal QC standards do not necessarily apply, so you would not want to use this for regular work.

Here's one of mine from the 1960s

DR3X06.jpg

Yes there is the reportage/archive route at the top of the My Alamy (rh side), you may have to apply. If you get it you should still  be as thorough as you would with the usual channel as it could be withdrawn. But it is treated separately for QC purposes and I have had some trial b&w negative film scans accepted without any problem; they needed a lot  cleaning though which is why I have not done more. The Coolscan should be plenty good enough if the originals are sharp and well exposed (I used an ArtixScan 4000)

does the reportage / archival system make any difference to a user / buyer searching

eg, does it get put in a different section, such as the "creative images" appearing at the top?

pricing differences??

and also, what determines a "creative" image also? is this a setting we can select when uploading, to mark it as creative, or is this alamy done?

I have a fair number of shots in the Archive system. There is a warning to searchers about possible lower technical quality but it doesn't seem to be putting them off much, if at all.

Mostly they were those pesky Kodachromes which can be devilishly hard to scan. My 9000 ED is supposed to cope better than most, but you still have to look out for those little edge repeats

You have to be invited into the Creative stream, but Alamy can select a few from your portfolio as and when they see fit. I think I have about a dozen deemed to be "creative". Sadly, they have not caused a rush of sales.

does the reportage / archival system make any difference to a user / buyer searching

eg, does it get put in a different section, such as the "creative images" appearing at the top?

pricing differences??

As far as I am aware there is no separate section for archive images, but if a buyer zooms an archive image there is reference to Reportage/Archival image within the accompanying text. They should therefore be aware that they are buying a product that is not necessarily up to normal standards.

I have got some of my older shots through normal QC. Those scanned from 2.25 in square negatives are no problem, but some of my early 35mm photos, taken with less than excellent cameras, I would not want to risk - hence the decision to apply for permission to use the archival route. It still takes a lot of work to prepare them, spotting old negatives is very time consuming, while I find the automatic features available on my Epson scanner to control defects and grain degrade the image too much for my liking.

Re the creative thing, it has been my experience that if you have sold an image in the past against a particular search, it, or some of your other efforts may appear within the creative section for that search. I may be wrong but I don't think that a person within Alamy looks through the photos and selects those they consider creative!

thanks for the answers, it seems from what people have said, that all images show up for a given search together but the buyer gets a warning about QC,

im currently working on medium to large format scanning in vast archive. agree its time consuming! but worth doing right

Archived