Choose a camera so that my pictures pass quality control at the alamy

6 hours ago, Dionis said:

Thank you Chuck)

Dionis,

You are welcome.  So you are in the country of Georgia?  Been a couple of decades since I was there.  If you are in Georgia, I don't think the eBay warrantee will do you much good?

The old FUJI S5s are good DSLRs, but are a bit outdated.  I have seen NIKON D2s and D3s for sale pretty cheap.  They are heavy, but they do work well and they are tough.  I never liked the crop frame NIKONs (D300, D80 etc.).  If you can manage it, I have seen a lot of NIKON D800s for sale pretty cheap or a good D600 might work for you.

MDM, that is an old falsehood.  I worked with S2 and S5 FUJIs for years, still have one somewhere.  I always shot RAW and got a 42xx by out of them or the equivalent of a 12MP sensor.

FYI, My images shot with the FUJIs are more middle aged.  Alamy has also licensed an image several times that I shot with a LEICA M3 on Kodachrome 64.  That I would call "old" 

Chuck

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Dionis,

You are welcome.  So you are in the country of Georgia?  Been a couple of decades since I was there.  If you are in Georgia, I don't think the eBay warrantee will do you much good?

The old FUJI S5s are good DSLRs, but are a bit outdated.  I have seen NIKON D2s and D3s for sale pretty cheap.  They are heavy, but they do work well and they are tough.  I never liked the crop frame NIKONs (D300, D80 etc.).  If you can manage it, I have seen a lot of NIKON D800s for sale pretty cheap or a good D600 might work for you.

MDM, that is an old falsehood.  I worked with S2 and S5 FUJIs for years, still have one somewhere.  I always shot RAW and got a 42xx by out of them or the equivalent of a 12MP sensor.

FYI, My images shot with the FUJIs are more middle aged.  Alamy has also licensed an image several times that I shot with a LEICA M3 on Kodachrome 64.  That I would call "old" 

Chuck

You obviously didn't read enough of the thread. His budget is $200 for camera and lens. He has never used a real interchangeable lens camera.  Old is relative but 6MP is ancient by today's standard and would give no room whatsoever for cropping. Buying an old heavily used pro camera a good idea - really? One that has been through the wars and a huge shutter count  - really? Almost all those cameras you mention are out of budget anyway. I'm trying to help the guy practically, not make unfeasible suggestions. 

18 hours ago, MDM said:

I had a quick look at your YouTube channel and you definitely have an eye for a picture - some of the flower stills and the shots of the pup are great. I hope you manage to get yourself a decent camera in good condition. 

Thanks MDM, This is the tiktok effect, But I hope that with your help and with the help of other people who shared their experience and knowledge with me on the site, I will also be able to create such photos)

8 hours ago, Dionis said:

Thanks MDM, This is the tiktok effect, But I hope that with your help and with the help of other people who shared their experience and knowledge with me on the site, I will also be able to create such photos)

Hi Dionis,

My first camera that I got in 2010 was the Nikon D3000 and it was an excellent camera. It's only 10 megapixels so I think going for the D3200 or above would be a great option. The Nikon menus are some of the easiest to use. It definitely would be good to get a warranty and check the things that others have mentioned regarding the camera's condition.

I only had my D3000 for 2 years and then it was stolen. As it was stolen from my home it was covered under insurance so I put that money towards a Nikon D5200. I then used that camera for the next decade and absolutely loved it as well. I think the D5200 and later ones in that series are also great options but may be a little more expensive. The few images I have on here at Alamy taken in 2012 were with the Nikon D3000, and the images from 2013-2022 were nearly all taken with the Nikon D5200. They are lovely cameras and small and comfortable to carry around. I learned so much using them. All the best with it!

14 hours ago, Sally Robertson said:

My first camera that I got in 2010 was the Nikon D3000 and it was an excellent camera. It's only 10 megapixels so I think going for the D3200 or above would be a great option. The Nikon menus are some of the easiest to use. It definitely would be good to get a warranty and check the things that others have mentioned regarding the camera's condition.

I only had my D3000 for 2 years and then it was stolen. As it was stolen from my home it was covered under insurance so I put that money towards a Nikon D5200. I then used that camera for the next decade and absolutely loved it as well. I think the D5200 and later ones in that series are also great options but may be a little more expensive. The few images I have on here at Alamy taken in 2012 were with the Nikon D3000, and the images from 2013-2022 were nearly all taken with the Nikon D5200. They are lovely cameras and small and comfortable to carry around. I learned so much using them. All the best with it!

Thank you for sharing the information with me Sally, and thank you for your opinion too)

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

My first Nikon DSLR was a D7100, bought 2 years before I started submitting to Alamy. Later its was joined by a D7200. Both are now with my sister whom I'm currently staying with near Skipton. I never had any quality issues submitting to Alamy with the DX crop sensor Nikon's. They were replaced by 2 FX Nikon D750's, then supplemented by 2 DX sensor D500's. They have a much faster shutter burst rate, excellent auto focus and are useful for more reach with a Nikon 80-400. A carry everywhere camera, a Sony RX100 MK7 replaced an original RX10 just before lockdown. All have specific uses, as do my camera bags. With the mainly poor licence fees I will likely keep my current kit rather than replace with mirrorless bodies. My D750's, 24-70, 70-200 Tamron 2.8 G2's and a Tamron 17-25 2.8-4 are with me in Yorkshire for the next 7 days. Just waiting for the odd clap of thunder and light rain to subside before putting them to good use. All these produce images that will pass QC. Avoid very old DSLR's even if their cost might make them tempting. In the distant past I struggled to sell a Nikon D200, and more recently binned 2 very old Nikon D60's that I found in a lift clear out.

Just now, sb photos said:

My first Nikon DSLR was a D7100, bought 2 years before I started submitting to Alamy. Later its was joined by a D7200. Both are now with my sister whom I'm currently staying with near Skipton. I never had any quality issues submitting to Alamy with the DX crop sensor Nikon's. They were replaced by 2 FX Nikon D750's, then supplemented by 2 DX sensor D500's. They have a much faster shutter burst rate, excellent auto focus and are useful for more reach with a Nikon 80-400. A carry everywhere camera, a Sony RX100 MK7 replaced an original RX10 just before lockdown. All have specific uses, as do my camera bags. With the mainly poor licence fees I will likely keep my current kit rather than replace with mirrorless bodies. My D750's, 24-70, 70-200 Tamron 2.8 G2's and a Tamron 17-25 2.8-4 are with me in Yorkshire for the next 7 days. Just waiting for the odd clap of thunder and light rain to subside before putting them to good use. All these produce images that will pass QC. Avoid very old DSLR's even if their cost might make them tempting. In the distant past I struggled to sell a Nikon D200, and more recently binned 2 very old Nikon D60's that I found in a loft clear out.

I just noticed what seems to be a new paragraph in Alamy's Guidelines for submitting images to Alamy  I don't know how long it has been there but I suspect not too long unless it has been discussed elsewhere on the forum and I missed it. 

There is now a section called Mobile at the end which says: Currently you can’t upload mobile phone images to the Alamy Platform but we’ll be opening up this route for upload soon. 

Maybe Dionis doesn't need to buy a camera after all. I would still recommend a real camera but if money is very tight a mobile might be ok. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

@MDM do you have any update regarding being able to sell mobile phone images? I was ready to start uploading content and I found this QC condition, which I didn't expect. It would be a shame cause nowadays mobile phones have great quality and amazing work can be achieved with them. Thank you in advance :)

15 hours ago, Pakhaus said:

@MDM do you have any update regarding being able to sell mobile phone images? I was ready to start uploading content and I found this QC condition, which I didn't expect. It would be a shame cause nowadays mobile phones have great quality and amazing work can be achieved with them. Thank you in advance :)

No. I'm just a contributor with no insider information,

16 minutes ago, NYCat said:

No phone images now that Stockimo has expired.

Paulette

If you check the link I posted above relating to advice for contributors, it says at the bottom: Currently you can’t upload mobile phone images to the Alamy Platform but we’ll be opening up this route for upload soon. I don't know when this appeared but I guess it is relatively recent. 

Edited by MDM
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, MDM said:

No. I'm just a contributor with no insider information,

If you check the link I posted above relating to advice for contributors, it says at the bottom: Currently you can’t upload mobile phone images to the Alamy Platform but we’ll be opening up this route for upload soon. I don't know when this appeared but I guess it is relatively recent. 

When they closed Stockimo they said they wanted to make it possible to upload to the regular site. I bet it will take a long time.

Paulette