Hi, just wondering what people do for safety when out and about photographing? What are other peoples experiences? Talking about busy events (and not obvious dangerous places, such as warzones as that is a bit different) and obviously not on a mountain somewhere, I think that is a different story and probably more fun and a safer thing for me to think about doing...

At the weekend I had a "what the h*ll am I doing moment" when out for a walk. Didn't intend to walk in to any thing and just happened to have camera, so started photographing a large fight outside a pub which then wrapped it self around the corner. Apparently 2 people had been stabbed almost right in front of me. I think the suspect is in the back of the photo, it was that close. 
Can keep a distance, but a knife could kill easily. From video online, the attacker just walked up to the group fighting out of no where and started swinging a knife (not sure if it hit, but looked close if it didn't). There was no police for a while and I did report the photos to them (not sure what else I can do?).

No idea if this is worth it or ever been worth it. I have been threatened (kept the person at arms length and they walked away after I looked at police that where everywhere) before awhile ago and only made 1 sale for $ 5.43 (can't remember if it sold elsewhere) for a photo taken around 2015 and I don't think there will be any more (wonder how much the phone video screenshots sell for). Low prices seem bad, but I think safety is another issue too. What are other peoples thoughts/ safety tips (just in case)?

I would not photograph or attempt to photograph a violent situation.  I am not a news photographer and would rather keep myself safe by getting away.  I thought you were going to ask about safety items while in an unsafe place.  I do occasionally have to shoot pictures at a construction site or alongside a roadway.  I keep a hardhat helmet and a bright yellow safety vest in my car if needed.  But I know that is not what you were asking about.

Edited by Michael Ventura
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

I would not photograph or attempt to photo photograph a violent situation.  I am not a news photographer and would rather keep myself safe by getting away.  I thought you were going to ask about safety items while in an unsafe place.  I do occasionally have to shoot pictures at a construction site or alongside a roadway.  I keep a hardhat helmet and a bright yellow safety vest in my car if needed.  But I know that is not what you were asking about.

I agree about not photographing violent situations, but this just turned with in seconds in an usually quiet street. The football did just end, but in the past I haven't seen any thing like that. The street was about 200m and the fight was the entire way down the street and I didn't see any reason for it. Mad! 

40 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

I would not photograph or attempt to photo photograph a violent situation.  I am not a news photographer and would rather keep myself safe by getting away.  I thought you were going to ask about safety items while in an unsafe place.  I do occasionally have to shoot pictures at a construction site or alongside a roadway.  I keep a hardhat helmet and a bright yellow safety vest in my car if needed.  But I know that is not what you were asking about.

+1.  I wouldn't take pictures of a fight, you never know when friends or family are going to come past and get angry with some random photographer that is 'getting involved'.

• Like 2

Obviously I am not going out to look for fights. I was out for a walk and had camera on me with out any plans and maybe get photos of fans enjoying themselves but had 0 expectations of photos. There was an odd atmosphere in the town and as I was walking back, the street pretty much went crazy for no reason. So some one with a phone out and thought to myself "I have a camera" and joined in. Hid behind people and bins with a long lens to keep a distance. Did hear some one shout "he has a camera". Was such an odd night.

I have so many questions and don't think they will be answered. For example. why were only 3 arrested for suspicion of affray? There were clearly more that should be arrested and the photos show it.  Are these people back out on streets? Are the press copying and pasting stories? Seems a few have as similar story that begins with "the police said" (or something like that) followed by fuzzy screenshots. Why are they not asking more questions? People should be told what is happening and I think a lot is being missed out. There was so much more happened on Sunday than what is being written. What else are they not reporting? Is it safe to go back out yet? Am I overthinking?

Although. saying that a sale has came in for the photo (seems quick) for $5.74...  so who knows what's going on.

18 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

I would not photograph or attempt to photograph a violent situation.  I am not a news photographer and would rather keep myself safe by getting away.  I thought you were going to ask about safety items while in an unsafe place.  I do occasionally have to shoot pictures at a construction site or alongside a roadway.  I keep a hardhat helmet and a bright yellow safety vest in my car if needed.  But I know that is not what you were asking about.

It is a good thought though about safety gear. Not sure what is suitable for everyday though. I have put some first aid bandages in camera bag and thinking a body cam might be a good idea to have in bag just in case.

1 hour ago, piperand said:

It is a good thought though about safety gear. Not sure what is suitable for everyday though. I have put some first aid bandages in camera bag and thinking a body cam might be a good idea to have in bag just in case.

I do keep first aid bandaids in my camera bag and a more complete first aid kit in my car.  A couple of months ago, I had a spring loaded clamp snap shut on a finger and was real happy to have a bandaid in my bag!

3 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

I do keep first aid bandaids in my camera bag and a more complete first aid kit in my car.  A couple of months ago, I had a spring loaded clamp snap shut on a finger and was real happy to have a bandaid in my bag!

Years ago, the clamp of a gorilla pod used for macro jumped off my tripod and attached itself to my arm. I had a huge nasty black bruise. Next day at work, showing my injury to my co-worker, I joked that I had been attacked by my gorilla. Horrified he enquired: your husband?? LOL!!!

• Love 1
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, gvallee said:

Years ago, the clamp of a gorilla pod used for macro jumped off my tripod and attached itself to my arm. I had a huge nasty black bruise. Next day at work, showing my injury to my co-worker, I joked that I had been attacked by my gorilla. Horrified he enquired: your husband?? LOL!!!

:lol:

22 hours ago, gvallee said:

:lol::lol::lol:

I am sure there is a joke about being supported after somewhere.

I normally take sunblock and water (summer) and let my family know where I a staying overnight, I used to photograph a lot of demonstrations, but have not for many years. I have been accused of working for the police etc. Now I would try and stay away from violet situations. But I think it's a good post and thread. I did thing like photographing illegal logging in Brazil/Russia but I had local contacts. If winter I have warm/waterproof clothes and have a good idea of upcoming weather etc.