Maximum file size you can upload

I'm having trouble uploading. The files are jpgs from Raw files made on my Canon R5.  I'm using Firefox. What is the maximum file size you can upload to Alamy. Thank you for any help you can give me.

On 23/06/2024 at 00:37, Timcphoto said:

I'm having trouble uploading. The files are jpgs from Raw files made on my Canon R5.  I'm using Firefox. What is the maximum file size you can upload to Alamy. Thank you for any help you can give me.

This post/thread may help?

Also, there's no point in uploading jpgs to Alamy at max quality level as Alamy will simply compress them. I upload jpgs at Photoshop quality level 10 (max quality is 12) but then Alamy compress to approx level 8.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

I would warn against making decisions based solely on Alamy.  

I save at Max quality and Alamy can do what they want with the image. 

You would kick yourself if in a year or two you submitted somewhere else and found that your Alamy-ready images weren't accepted. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

You would kick yourself if in a year or two you submitted somewhere else and found that your Alamy-ready images weren't accepted. 

That's why I also keep the RAW, and my comment was about uploading to Alamy, not what you might choose to archive. However, I'd also argue the bigger loss in quality comes from saving a 16 bit file as 8 bit, and not the difference from quality level 10 vs 12 jpgs.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

On 24/06/2024 at 18:58, M.Chapman said:

That's why I also keep the RAW, and my comment was about uploading to Alamy, not what you might choose to archive. However, I'd also argue the bigger loss in quality comes from saving a 16 bit file as 8 bit, and not the difference from quality level 10 vs 12 jpgs.

Mark

As a user of PS Elements for all my raw conversion and editing I usually end up saving as an 8 bit file if I have done any  work with the image, am I really missing something doing this, cant see any way around it using PSE?   

19 minutes ago, Nick Hatton said:

As a user of PS Elements for all my raw conversion and editing I usually end up saving as an 8 bit file if I have done any  work with the image, am I really missing something doing this, cant see any way around it using PSE?

I do not know about the PSE but assuming you use ACR, you can find it in ACR preferences, whether the output will be 8 or 16 bit.

36 minutes ago, IKuzmin said:

I do not know about the PSE but assuming you use ACR, you can find it in ACR preferences, whether the output will be 8 or 16 bit.

I think the problem is you have to convert the image to 8 bit in PSE to to do anything but the basics   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nick Hatton said:

It's not so much working in 8 bit where you might be missing out - the raw converter in Elements is very limited in comparison to Adobe Camera Raw (ACR). The tools in ACR have become so sophisiticated that it is possible to do most if not all editing without using Photoshop at all. This means you are working in 16-bit until you save the final JPEGs anyway. If you are reluctant to subscribe to the Adobe Photography Plan (£10 a month but often discounted to less than £70 a year), there are other non-subscription software options. 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, IKuzmin said:

Well if you don't count curves, HSL adjustments, grayscale, lens corrections, presets, the color sampler, spot removal, graduated filter and adjustment brush, none of which are present in Elements ACR according to your first link, maybe it's not so limited. However, I would regard all of those as extremely major differences. There is also no mention of the incredibly powerful masking and selection features, as well as Denoise, in Photoshop ACR, all of which are integral parts of my workflow. I presume that these are not available in Elements but am happy to be corrected if wrong.

Edited by MDM

1 hour ago, MDM said:

Well if you don't count curves, HSL adjustments, grayscale, lens corrections, presets, the color sampler, spot removal, graduated filter and adjustment brush, none of which are present in Elements ACR according to your first link, maybe it's not so limited. However, I would regard all of those as extremely major differences. There is also no mention of the incredibly powerful masking and selection features, as well as Denoise, in Photoshop ACR, all of which are integral parts of my workflow. I presume that these are not available in Elements but am happy to be corrected if wrong.

As I said, I did not know how limited it was. I never used PSE. The original question was on 16 bit support, and that's what I tried to find. To be on topic.

6 minutes ago, IKuzmin said:

As I said, I did not know how limited it was. I never used PSE. The original question was on 16 bit support, and that's what I tried to find. To be on topic.

To be on topic, we should be talking about the maximum file size for Alamy. This discussion of bit depth is way off topic. I think it is around 30 MB recently but that may be wrong. It has changed several times it seems. There is one way to find out...