I've had a stock photo website for eons. Once upon a time, my stock site actually made a profit, but those days are long gone. Now it just gathers dust. Consequently, I'm thinking of canning the website and putting my custom domain name up for sale through GoDaddy. Their online value estimator quotes a surprisingly good possible selling price. Has anyone ever sold a domain name? If so, any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by John Mitchell

I tried selling a couple years ago but just got ridiculously low offers so now I just let them lapse and forget about them.

Alan

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

But once you let it them lapse, aren't they open for others to use?

Yes.  They, however, are not allowed to scrape your website and pretend that they're you.   (Got that sorted with some angry emails to the registrar, their host, and a quiet word to Wikipedia to edit out the link).

5 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

I changed my website from .com to .co.uk a few years ago but I've kept the .com domain to prevent anyone else using it.  It doesn't cost much to renew it every couple of years.

2 hours ago, Vincent Lowe said:

I changed my website from .com to .co.uk a few years ago but I've kept the .com domain to prevent anyone else using it.  It doesn't cost much to renew it every couple of years.

That's true, but I don't want to have to continue paying for a PhotoShelter subscription. No one licenses images from individuals any longer.

8 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

That would seem (?) to be the case. I assume that one has to sell while the domain is still active.

10 hours ago, Inchiquin said:

I tried selling a couple years ago but just got ridiculously low offers so now I just let them lapse and forget about them.

Alan

Interesting. I'll probably end up doing the same.

2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Interesting. I'll probably end up doing the same.

Another option is to point the domain to a site you do use, for example your Alamy portfolio page or Flickr etc.

You can then dump the hosting and just pay for the domain every couple of years and it's still there should you change your mind.

3 hours ago, John Bingham said:

Another option is to point the domain to a site you do use, for example your Alamy portfolio page or Flickr etc.

You can then dump the hosting and just pay for the domain every couple of years and it's still there should you change your mind.

That's a really interesting suggestion. I'll look into it. I already have a link to my Alamy portfolio on my existing stock website. However, I have no idea if it has resulted in any sales here.

21 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Yes, but my point was that once I've decided I no longer have a use for them, I don't care and just move on.

Alan

16 hours ago, Vincent Lowe said:

I do that too. alanwrigley.co.uk, alanwrigley.me.uk and alanwrigley.uk all point to alanwrigley.com (as do some of my other domains).

Alan