Question about image of navigation technology

Sally Robertson

Question

Hello Alamy people. I've been uploading some older images I took and I have one from a few years ago of what I believe from researching it is called a leading light. It is situated at Fremantle Harbour, Western Australia and I know it is a navigation aid for vessels entering the harbour. I only had a 90mm lens with me at the time so just focussed on the top part of the structure. I just wanted to confirm that leading light is the correct definition of what this is so that my caption and tags are correct. Is there anyone out there who can confirm for sure? This is the image:

a-leading-light-with-solar-panels-attach

7 answers to this question

9 hours ago, Sally Robertson said:

Hello Alamy people. I've been uploading some older images I took and I have one from a few years ago of what I believe from researching it is called a leading light. It is situated at Fremantle Harbour, Western Australia and I know it is a navigation aid for vessels entering the harbour. I only had a 90mm lens with me at the time so just focussed on the top part of the structure. I just wanted to confirm that leading light is the correct definition of what this is so that my caption and tags are correct. Is there anyone out there who can confirm for sure? This is the image:

a-leading-light-with-solar-panels-attach

I see you’ve uploaded & captioned this. Nice image!

I just spent a chunk of time investigating your question. Nada. So many inquiries show lighthouses. One image similar is at a distance on Alamy & doesn’t hold a candle to yours. I’m sure you made searches like mine and even deeper & came up pretty dry.

I never even heard of a Leading Light until your question! I love learning about new things. I’m a long way from any coasts, so we don’t speak shipping ports, sailing vessels, lighthouses and shoals around here.

A good thing, as Martha Stewart used to say is that if any buyer searches for one looking for something besides a brilliant person or a lighthouse, you definitely will get the sale.

• Love 1

Posted (edited)

In Queensland:

Directional and sector lights

Directional and sector lights have a similar purpose to leading lights at channel entrances and inshore waters.

Directional lights can be used as steering marks and sector lights display a light of different colours (usually green, white and red).

https://www.msq.qld.gov.au/safety/navigation-buoys-marks-and-beacons

There's more of course.

wim

edit:

forgot to say: search AoA first to see what terms clients are using.

Edited by wiskerke
  • Love 1

Thank you kindly for looking into it Betty, Wim and Jose.

My thinking on the "leading light" came from finding this company who supply leading lights to Fremantle port where it is located:

https://www.sealite.com/case-studies/sl-09-light-fixture-leading-lights-fremantle-port/

Their leading light looks similar but is an inverted triangle rather than a rectangle.

Had a look at AoA, only quickly so far. The term "leading light" had two results in the past year. When I clicked to see the results it came up with no results. That could be a glitch as that sometimes happens to me where no results are displayed. I'll keep having a look at this though and see what search terms are being used.

Jose, yes, there are definitely the solar panels and what appears to be a radio transmitter attached.

Looking at a search on Alamy I have found just a few examples, triangular and rectangle lights, that are keyworded as leading lights at harbours. So I'm feeling this is correct, but will research a bit more.

Thanks again 🙏

Maybe look for harbor harbour light lights beacon beacons navigating navigation navigational nautical sign signs signage entrance entering channel shore waters and that sort of things.

Maybe also find out what the antenna thingy is.

I have only one image of a similar subject and it was licensed twice for a grand total of $4.73 gross. In 14 years. 😂

BK14A1.jpg

If I remember correctly it was the number one that sold it. Not the fact that it was a nautical thing.

Most clients seem to be looking for a lighthouse. Or a beacon of light. Probably in the dark.

wim

• Love 1

Thanks Wim, yes good idea. It’s funny about the number thing. I photographed a golf flag the other day with the number 8 on it. I wondered if it would be any use uploading it and I could only imagine it being useful if the “8” was important to a buyer, rather than it being a golf flag. So more symbolically useful than literally useful.

And Mr Standfast, you made me laugh. Possibly I should just call it “navigation thingy” and be done with it 😂