Anomaly with Alamy searches not working intermittently

Today I have had an issue that has arisen before. For some reason if I type something in the Alamy search box (regardless of whether searching all images or just photos) I do not get any results no matter what I put in there. When it happened today I then tried it on my phone and it worked.

The only way I can get it working again on my desktop computer is to log out of Alamy, close the browser (for me Safari) and also quite the browser application. Only then can I open Safari again and get the Alamy image search page to work again.

Does this happen to anyone else? It only happens sometimes.

As an aside, and I mentioned this a while ago, but I also find I get a different display when an image is displayed after I have logged out of Alamy, closed the browser, quit the browser application and re-opened it. When I re-open it and go to the Alamy search page again and bring up an image (still not logged in) the image is displayed much larger than when I am logged in.  The options to the right appear in dollars rather than pounds and only two licence options appear, compared with the multiple options when logged in.

It seems confusing to have these two different displays with different options. I'm trying to understand why? Any thoughts? I know there seems to be a new, simplified licensing system (I think) but then it's confusing with the available options changing when logged in.

• Like 1

I think my problems searching have to do with how out of date my MacBook Air is but I only have issues with Alamy and a couple of other websites. The vast majority of websites still work on my old computer. I use Safari and the only way I can see my images is through my portfolio. I can’t use the Alamy search page and can’t see images of people on the Forum by clicking on the number of their images. 

Paulette

As I've coded a couple of websites from scratch... When you're coding a website, you have to write specific code lines sometimes for particular web browers. So it may be that when Alamy has updated their website at some point, it loses functionality with specific web browers, because they haven't written the required browser specific code.

Or, if you're using an older (not updated) version of a web browser, you'll find it will work less and less with modern websites as they have new functionality that wasn't available before.

Thank you for the explanation. I wish Alamy wasn’t one I have trouble with. I can go to my desk and use my MacBook Pro but I often just want to sit in my easy chair with the small laptop. 

Paulette

4 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Thank you for the explanation. I wish Alamy wasn’t one I have trouble with. I can go to my desk and use my MacBook Pro but I often just want to sit in my easy chair with the small laptop. 

Paulette

Why not install a 2nd browser on the small laptop and see if that works? I've got Brave and Safari. Most of the time I use Safari, but when I see problems I try in Brave. Brave also avoids ads in Youtube videos.

Mark

10 hours ago, Steve F said:

As I've coded a couple of websites from scratch... When you're coding a website, you have to write specific code lines sometimes for particular web browers. So it may be that when Alamy has updated their website at some point, it loses functionality with specific web browers, because they haven't written the required browser specific code.

Or, if you're using an older (not updated) version of a web browser, you'll find it will work less and less with modern websites as they have new functionality that wasn't available before.

Hi Steve, That makes sense. In my case everything is completely up to date including the web browser. So possibly the former is happening in relation to browser specific code.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Why not install a 2nd browser on the small laptop and see if that works? I've got Brave and Safari. Most of the time I use Safari, but when I see problems I try in Brave. Brave also avoids ads in Youtube videos.

Mark

Mark, I'm interested to hear about Brave. I used to always have at least two web browsers installed but in recent times I have only been using Safari. I very much like the idea of avoiding ads in YouTube videos. Sometimes I have been in the middle of a beautiful musical performance or a cinematic video and a loud ad suddenly cuts into the middle of it!

Don't know if this is connected, but I've been having difficulties with the Alamy.com site loading for some time, this is using a PC (desktop) Laptop and my iPhone.

Also seen a change in the updating of several of the pages on the site?

Chuck

8 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Don't know if this is connected, but I've been having difficulties with the Alamy.com site loading for some time, this is using a PC (desktop) Laptop and my iPhone.

Also seen a change in the updating of several of the pages on the site?

Chuck

Hi Chuck, yes a change I've noticed is that when not logged in only two licence options appear - standard and enhanced. So unless logged in it presents a very simplified, streamlined version of licensing options.

9 hours ago, Sally Robertson said:

Mark, I'm interested to hear about Brave.

https://brave.com

It's free and available for Windows, Mac, IOS etc. Bookmarks can be imported and synched between devices. You may find that some sites may not work (because they rely on their own cookies to work properly) but, if they are trusted sites, then "shields" can be turned off on those sites (button in top menu). I don't use the Rewards or Crypto facilities.

9 hours ago, Sally Robertson said:

I very much like the idea of avoiding ads in YouTube

So far Brave has worked well for me on that score.

The DuckDuckGo browser also offers this.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

22 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

https://brave.com

It's free and available for Windows, Mac, IOS etc. Bookmarks can be imported and synched between devices. You may find that some sites may not work (because they rely on their own cookies to work properly) but, if they are trusted sites, then "shields" can be turned off on those sites (button in top menu). I don't use the Rewards or Crypto facilities.

So far Brave has worked well for me on that score.

The DuckDuckGo browser also offers this.

Mark

Thank you Mark. I’m away from home a few days but will have a look at it when I get back.

I've just been using DuckDuckGo's browser and it seems to work well with Alamy Image Manager. It's also 1/2 the size of Brave and without some of the home page rewards and other clutter that comes with Brave.

Mark

I realize I do have Chrome. I had resisted having more Google and I got frustrated by the bookmarks and passwords issues so haven't been using it but I see that I can go to that for my problem websites.

Paulette

9 hours ago, NYCat said:

but I see that I can go to that for my problem websites.

You'll still get the YouTube ads on Chrome though...

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

My friend Joan has asked me to thank you guys for the suggestion to change browsers. She was having major slowness with Firefox and now she is good with another browser. We help the world here.

Paulette😀

• Love 1

I’ve been using DuckDuckGo browser for a week now and like it so much I’ve made it my default browser instead of Safari. It doesn’t integrate with Apple Keychain (DuckDuck has its own Password manager) but bookmarks and passwords can be easily imported and synched across all Apple devices (and Windows/Android too if needed). I find the “Fireproof this site” option is really useful to protect cookies on trusted sites only.

Mark 

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

I’ve been using DuckDuckGo browser for a week now and like it so much I’ve made it my default browser instead of Safari. It doesn’t integrate with Apple Keychain (DuckDuck has its own Password manager) but bookmarks and passwords can be easily imported and synched across all Apple devices (and Windows/Android too if needed). I find the “Fireproof this site” option is really useful to protect cookies on trusted sites only.

Mark 

Thanks Mark, that is good info to know about DuckDuckGo. I know of someone else who has recommended it in preference to the most often used browsers. I will have a look at it.

• 3 weeks later...

I too, have been having problems with the Alamy site of late.  These have ranged from incomplete or poor search results through to pages retuning error messages about “header too long or bad”.  

I frequently contribute to the “pictures found’ topic, but with issues on search I have had to give up on a couple of occasions.  

I do wonder if this is impacting customer search?