I have a Nikon 7500 and many jpg files are too small. I have set the highest settings in the Photo Shooting Menu but still 50% of my images are too small. I shoot in Raw and Jpeg, the Raw file is always big enough but am i right in thinking that you only accept Jpeg images?

I have a Nikon D3100, which has a smaller sensor than the Nikon7500, and the images from that are slightly larger than twice the minimum Alamy requires for standard submissions. I have loads from that camera accepted by Alamy. On mine I choose 'jpeg fine' and 'large' as two different settings or I choose raw, then process and save as a jpeg. If it was me I would check the settings again as images should be plenty big enough for Alamy from your camera. Are you getting images rejected for being too small? Or, is it possible you are misunderstanding the minimum size required, which can be confusing? 

Hi RR,

The required file size is when the image (raw or JPEG etc.) is open AND UNCOMPRESSED in an editing programme. Hope this helps.

https://www.alamy.com/contributor/how-to-sell-images/guidelines-for-submitting-images/?section=3&_gl=1*1a27u6t*_ga*MTg3ODgwNjkzMi4xNjg4MDQyMzI1*_ga_M5V9H9N7G8*MTcwODMyOTc4NS42NzQuMS4xNzA4MzQ2Njk1LjAuMC4w

"File size of over 17MB (when uncompressed/open)
Your JPEG file is likely to have a compressed size of 3-5MB. Opening a JPEG in an image program such as Adobe Photoshop will show you the uncompressed/open file size."

At risk of throwing too many numbers around but your camera has a 21MP sensor (5568 x 3712 px), the minimum 17MB uncompressed file size corresponds to 6MP (3000 x 2000 px) so you have plenty of room to spare.

Edited by Harry Harrison
5568 x 3712, not 4176 x 2784
  • Like 1

Thank you all for your replies. My camera settings are Raw+Jpegfine . I also have a nikon 3100, 5200 and the 7500 and from what I can gather I should be ok with any one of these.

I haven't submitted any files yet but here goes!

How can I save raw as jpegs the only option in NX Studio is to export as Jpeg, but it is only a small size. I am not very good with editing software, but I do have Affinity 2, just can't seem to get to grips with it.

Thanks again

Double_R

You don't "save" RAWs. You merely copy them over from the camera, edit, then render and export as jpeg. The RAW stays as it is and is never altered.

The software will have an option to export at any required size, you just haven't found it yet. Sounds as if you need to do some more homework.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Double_R said:

Thank you all for your replies. My camera settings are Raw+Jpegfine . I also have a nikon 3100, 5200 and the 7500 and from what I can gather I should be ok with any one of these.

I haven't submitted any files yet but here goes!

How can I save raw as jpegs the only option in NX Studio is to export as Jpeg, but it is only a small size. I am not very good with editing software, but I do have Affinity 2, just can't seem to get to grips with it.

Thanks again

Double_R

NX Studio is fine for your purpose  - I never thought I would say that but it has improved massively in recent times. You don't need Affinity. 

There is no problem exporting a JPEG at full size from a raw image from NX Studio. In the latest version when you export, you get a dialog where there is an option to change image size but it is off by default. Don't change it and you will get a file that is plenty large for Alamy.

However, if you are serious about uploading images to Alamy, you do need to learn how to edit raw images in software. Saying you are not very good sounds a bit weak. There are loads of tutorials to help you. NX Studio is very logical in its layout once you get used to the basics. 

Edited by MDM
  • Like 3