Jump to content
  • 0

Snake/Lichen Image I.D


Liam Bunce

Question

Hi All

I've been struggling for sometime now with the I.D. of the 2 images below If anyone is able to I.D. I would appreciate it very much. 

 

The first image of a snake was taken in Clusane Italy on the shores of Lake Iseo in September of 2023, it was about 45/50 c in length and gave the wife quite a shock as we left our hotel one morning. 

 

The second image is of a Lichen of some description the only one that I have come up with is a Pixie cup, am I correct and are the red caped ones of the same species? They were about 8/10 c tall, I came across them whilst roaming around the Cairngorms in March of 2023. 

 

I have attach a link to the location of the images as for some reason I was unable to upload them, please accept my apologies, you may have to copy paste.  

 

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/g1ngyn8g60ttnbc5od6d7/Bunce_HSI_545_Ms.jpg?rlkey=sdx4uancvknd3cjdtgzdiouy3&dl=0

 

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/2p85rwd0snf8rxraglbrf/Bunce_HSI_542_Ms.jpg?rlkey=gwj2v4jxaynvyq5fnphaxuffg&dl=0

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
46 minutes ago, Liam Bunce said:

Hi All

I've been struggling for sometime now with the I.D. of the 2 images below If anyone is able to I.D. I would appreciate it very much. 

 

The first image of a snake was taken in Clusane Italy on the shores of Lake Iseo in September of 2023, it was about 45/50 c in length and gave the wife quite a shock as we left our hotel one morning. 

 

The second image is of a Lichen of some description the only one that I have come up with is a Pixie cup, am I correct and are the red caped ones of the same species? They were about 8/10 c tall, I came across them whilst roaming around the Cairngorms in March of 2023. 

 

I have attach a link to the location of the images as for some reason I was unable to upload them, please accept my apologies, you may have to copy paste.  

 

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/g1ngyn8g60ttnbc5od6d7/Bunce_HSI_545_Ms.jpg?rlkey=sdx4uancvknd3cjdtgzdiouy3&dl=0

 

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/2p85rwd0snf8rxraglbrf/Bunce_HSI_542_Ms.jpg?rlkey=gwj2v4jxaynvyq5fnphaxuffg&dl=0

First one is coming up as a Narrow-headed garter snake

Edit Maybe this but not sure Giant Cladonia Lichen Cladonia maxima

Edited by Alexander Hogg
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 08/02/2024 at 14:48, Alexander Hogg said:

First one is coming up as a Narrow-headed garter snake

Edit Maybe this but not sure Giant Cladonia Lichen Cladonia maxima

Hi Alexander

Are you sure about the Snake being a Narrow headed Gater? as everything that I have looked up comes up with they are endemic to the southwestern United States and northwest Mexico, it was photographed on the shores of Lake Iseo in Italy.

 

Liam

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
48 minutes ago, Liam Bunce said:

Hi Alexander

Are you sure about the Snake being a Narrow headed Gater? as everything that I have looked up comes up with they are endemic to the southwestern United States and northwest Mexico, it was photographed on the shores of Lake Iseo in Italy.

 

Liam

deleted...

Edited by Ognyan Yosifov
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
3 hours ago, Liam Bunce said:

Hi Alexander

Are you sure about the Snake being a Narrow headed Gater? as everything that I have looked up comes up with they are endemic to the southwestern United States and northwest Mexico, it was photographed on the shores of Lake Iseo in Italy.

 

Liam

I'm honestly not sure I had just done a quick search Am probably completely wrong   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

I think your snake could be a dice snake (Natrix tessellata). According to my book on European reptiles it is present throughout most of Italy, and is often found in moist places or in water, so the habitat sounds right. The pattern is quite variable, but the colouring looks typical. It has a slightly pointed snout, and eyes with round pupils, which seem to match your photo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.