Screengrabs

Alex Ramsay

Question

8 answers to this question

Since contributors are required to own the copyright to images we submit, unless we have permission from the copyright owner or there is no copyright on the image, I'm not sure how TV screen grabs might be submitted at all, let alone as exclusive. Am I mistaken in this interpretation?

I know there are many movie stills on Alamy, but I've tended to assume they have been submitted by people or bodies who have authorisation to do so.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alex Ramsay said:

Err . . .  at the time of writing there are something over 209,000 screenshots available on Alamy

Alex

Yes - ie. 2EWP7CE created by the owner of the copyrighs, if that helps.

Pav

1 hour ago, Pav said:

Yes - ie. 2EWP7CE created by the owner of the copyrighs, if that helps.

Pav

And the vast majority, like (for example)  2RC02XA  among the 209,000 others, are not created by the copyright owners - but let's not get into a pointless argument!

Show it in context, i.e. the tv and some of the surrounding room. Otherwise, it's the same as artwork with no context - a big no no. The fact there's lots of  screen grab images from contributors shows there's a lot of people that don't know what they're doing... Or it's a calculated risk...

Edited by Steve F
  • Like 1

On 05/11/2023 at 15:21, Alex Ramsay said:

Can a TV screengrab be marked as Alamy Exclusive? What do others think?

Alex

Surely the answer to this is totally obvious. If the material is copyright, then it is clearly a breach of copyright to make it available for sale on Alamy, never mind mark it as exclusive. Moreover, it is a breach of the Alamy contributor contract to make material for which you don't own the copyright or have permission friom the copyright owner available for sale. It is irrelevant how many screengrabs are on Alamy. 

The BBC make it expicitly clear that you cannot use screengrabs for your own purposes without permission and you cannot use content from the BBC website for any business purpose without permission and a fee may be payable. No doubt the same applies to live TV and the iPlayer etc. And that is just the BBC.

Edited by MDM
  • Like 1