New MacBook Pro

I have a late 2013 MacBook Pro 15 inch monitor and it’s getting slow and I can’t upgrade to the latest O.S. That means I can’t get the latest features from Final Cut Pro X for video editing (I do quite a bit of stock video and YouTube), I just saw that Apple have released a new MacBook Pro this week with the M3 chip, is this time to upgrade or wait for a deal on an M2 machine.

From what I've seen so far, the M3 Pro processor (talking the processor, here, not the MacBook model) isn't a big upgrade over the M2 Pro chip because they reduced the number of performance cores and memory bandwidth, so if you're thinking of M2 Pro vs M3 Pro, I'd go with a deal on the M2 Pro. The base M3 and M3 Max both look like nice upgrades over the same levels as M2s, so in that case I might go with the M3. I'm super happy with my M2 Pro Mac mini; it's really fast for anything I do with it, and my M2 MacBook Air is very speedy, too. Another factor is that since it looks like you hang on to your computers for a long time, you might want to get the best you can to help extend its life. 

Edited by Mark Scheuern
  • Like 1

It's definitely time for an upgrade when your existing machine can't do what you want. I don't know about getting deals on previous models from Apple. Nothing is upgradeable so do make sure whatever you get is well endowed in the unified memory department and prioritise memory over internal storage which is really expensive. External SSDs are way cheaper and can easily handle video and photo editing. I edit 8K raw video on my M1 Max MBP with no problem. You will be amazed running FCPX on any of these M Macs in terms of speed and smoothness.

Edited by MDM
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark Scheuern said:

From what I've seen so far, the M3 Pro processor (talking the processor, here, not the MacBook model) isn't a big upgrade over the M2 Pro chip because they reduced the number of performance cores and memory bandwidth, so if you're thinking of M2 Pro vs M3 Pro, I'd go with a deal on the M2 Pro. The base M3 and M3 Max both look like nice upgrades over the same levels as M2s, so in that case I might go with the M3. I'm super happy with my M2 Pro Mac mini; it's really fast for anything I do with it, and my M2 MacBook Air is very speedy, too. Another factor is that since it looks like you hang on to your computers for a long time, you might want to get the best you can to help extend its life. 

I am leaning towards an M3 machine, as you say I have had this computer a long time, in comparison to all the windows machines I had before this Mac. Thanks for sharing your views Mark.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, MDM said:

It's definitely time for an upgrade when your existing machine can't do what you want. I don't know about getting deals on previous models from Apple. Nothing is upgradeable so do make sure whatever you get is well endowed in the unified memory department and prioritise memory over internal storage which is really expensive. External SSDs are way cheaper and can easily handle video and photo editing. I edit 8K raw video on my M1 Max MBP with no problem. You will be amazed running FCPX on any of these M Macs in terms of speed and smoothness.

Yes it's now getting that Photoshop Beta and FCP have features I can't access or use with the Intel processors I have in this 2013 MacBook. How much would you suggest for unified memory, I'm not as informed on this as I was with separate RAM etc, I am planning to run software on an external SSD.

It depends on what you can afford and what model you are going for as the choice of memory varies with the specific model. I would not go for anything less than 32GB for future proofing. I've not checked the specs of the latest ones in any detail as I have no intention of upgrading mine for some time. I got 64GB in the 14" M1 two years ago when they came out for future proofing and comfort in working. It might be overkill but it is a nice cushion and the machine should last several years. I can run FCP, DaVInci Resolve, Lightroom and Photoshop all at the same time if I want and I've never had an out of memory message even from Resolve which is quite heavy duty.

What codecs/formats are you shooting and editing in? 

Edited by MDM
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, MDM said:

It depends on what you can afford and what model you are going for as the choice of memory varies with the specific model. I would not go for anything less than 32GB for future proofing. I've not checked the specs of the latest ones in any detail as I have no intention of upgrading mine for some time. I got 64GB in the 14" M1 two years ago when they came out for future proofing and comfort in working. It might be overkill but it is a nice cushion and the machine should last several years. I can run FCP, DaVInci Resolve, Lightroom and Photoshop all at the same time if I want and I've never had an out of memory message even from Resolve which is quite heavy duty.

What codecs/formats are you shooting and editing in? 

Thanks! I shoot 4K with Sony XAVCS and Canon IPB edit in ProRes 422 and export H264

Edited by Normspics

1 hour ago, Normspics said:

I am leaning towards an M3 machine, as you say I have had this computer a long time, in comparison to all the windows machines I had before this Mac. Thanks for sharing your views Mark.

You're welcome. Whatever you get, it's going to be a really big upgrade for you. You'll like it a lot. The screens on the MacBook Pro machines are amazing, too. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I'm in the same boat with my 2019 Macbook Pro with 32GB RAM, n6-Core i9 Intel processor. LR is so slow. I don't do video now but might give it a try, but processing 61GB RAW files from my SonyA7riv is so slow and often crashes my computer. I was away for 2 weeks and haven't culled/reviewed any photos as simply uploading them took ages and my computer seems to grind to a halt when I start looking through them in LR. 

Ironically, I pared down what was on my 2TB internal hard drive before heading out of town and had a mostly empty 1TB fast SSD for the new photos but it gets slower by the second. I think the machine is actually on its way out all of a sudden since everything seems to be slow, whereas for the past several months it was just LR that was slowing down. 

So @Julie Edwards I read and related to your blog, but I want to just buy a laptop to use with my Eizo 27" monitor as well as for travel, prefering to have one computer rather than a desktop and a laptop. And @Normspics I see you want the M3 vs the M2 but I think I've read here that many felt the M2 was nearly as good but I'm not sure if that's the 
Air or the MacbookPro.  I tried searching for other discussions of recent Mackbook purchases but this is the only one I could find, surprisingly.

I've always had MacbookPro's usually replacing them every 3-5 years. (Until around 5 or so years ago, I also had a companion iMac, but I prefer having just one computer and  a monitor instead as noted above).

I'm assuming that the size of my 61MP images from my Sony A7riv is part of the reason that my MacbookPro is mind-numbingly slow so I'm not sure how that influences people's

advice. And I'm not sure if I want to future proof for the next 4-5 years or if I want to spend less and just get a machine that will take me through the next 3 since future  tech needs are so hard to predict.  I spent $4,000 on my current Mac trying to future proof it, and should have replaced it a year ago when it started slowing down. I got dual graphics cards, one of which doesn't work with LR anymore, and when I turn it off, it barely improves things and there's no way to turn the other one one on so instead of facing a similar situation with an uber-pricey laptop, I'm tempted I go for something that's good for just 3 years, spend less and then upgrade sooner vs going overboard & hoping it lasts longer. But even in 3 years who know how much tech will change?

Would love some advice re which processor, how much unified RAM? Prime day deals may mean deals via Apple and B&H too. The folks at Apple never seem to know enough about Adobe products so figured I should go to you guys here.   @MDM and those who took his advice and bought new Macs recently please chime in.

I'm hard on my MACS -  this one has had two new keyboards (a design defect but still...) and a new battery installed right before the extended warranty ended. I usually run PS and LR in tandem with several windows open in Chrome and various other programs at once*. I don't sleep well and spend way too many hours a day on my computer. And I might want to explore video.  (*I currently close everything but LR and it still sputters)

And a question about SSD drives: I'm using a fast 1TB Seagate, a 1TB Gtech and a 1TB SanDisk SSD for my overflow catalog since my 2TB internal SSD long since got too full (It's got 280GB free so it's not crazy full). I want to get another fast little portable drive - the three I have all seem fine but any you'd shy away from? I've read of issues with the SanDisk though it's the only brand I've never had die on me. Any fast tiny SSD you particularly love or hate? 

I'm always concerned about cost given that my photo income took a hit the last few years, but my husband convinced me that it's not worth being frustrated by a computer that isn't up to snuff, so getting it right is more important than getting it cheap, and let's face it, even a basic Mac ain't cheap. 

Oh, and I want a 15". I've had a 17" and a 13" and I much prefer the 15"

Thanks!

Edited by Marianne

It's very simple. If you want a MacBook Pro, it will be 14" or 16". I suggest getting the most powerful machine you can afford, prioritising unified memory over internal storage as the latter is very expensive compared to external storage. You can't upgrade anything. I would also recommend taking out Apple Care. My MacBook Pro M1 died without any warning and fortunately I was covered for a replacement logic board which would have cost over £1000 (about $1300). I never normally take this out but I did in this case. Apple did the work in a few days as well. I had everything backed up so no worries there. 

Edited by MDM

I realize the fault in my future proofing was the processor and I got a very fast one at the time, the i9 with 6 cores, a pricey upgrade from the i7 which runs very hot. it doesn't have enough VRAM for the more intensive things that LR Classic can do - I got plenty of RAM - 32GB in 2019 with my current Macbook Pro. I never am near to using all of it. The processor and not the RAM is the stumbling block. 

I think I'm going to get a 16" Macbook Pro M3 Max with lots of cores and a powerful GPU and with 36 or 48GB of RAM. I'm also looking at the M2 Max from 2023 which is nearly as powerful and will cost $1,000-1,500 less but with the size of my compressed RAW files I may just go for broke and get the M3 Max.

Re: Apple Care - yes! Every single Macbook Pro I've owned since the mid 2000's has needed major repairs within 2-3 years of purchase so Apple Care has been worthwhile for me. Now you can extend it beyond the three years on a monthly basis. It doesn't help, however, when your system isn't powerful enough and I think that 3-4 years may be the limit tech-wise, even if I get a very expensive machine, which is why I'm considering the M2 Max but I'll probably bite the bullet and get the M3 Max. If I want to try my hand at video, the extra power will also help. 

A larger internal SSD apparently also helps the machine work faster and I already feel like the 2TB I have is too small but it is pricey - about $500 for every half a TB you  add, vs $100-150 for a 1TB external SSD, so balancing $100-150 vs $1,000 per TB, I'll probably get the 1TB internal drive and keep most of my photos on external SSDs. 516GB is just too small. I keep my previews in my catalog and if I want to put the most recent stuff I'm working on on my machine, it'll fill up too fast. Thos little drives stay connected even if I'm using the Macbook in my lap so they're fine. 

• Like 1

Looking at the choices, I think you are looking at one or other of the two MacBook Pro M3 Max machines. Keep in mind that unified memory means the graphics and ram are all on the one chip. The way things are going, more and more power is needed for really useful stuff like Adobe Denoise and similar. You are pretty much a power user with huge 61MP files and multi-layered Photoshop files (I think). If I were you, I would be looking at a minimum of 48GB of memory. I definitely would not go with 32GB for future proofing. It's the usual story of what is enough now and what will be enough 5 years from now which is probably a good estimate of laptop lifespan. The 1TB internal drive is fine for me using external SSDs as working drives although it would be nice to have 2TB internally. Again I prioritise memory over internal storage. 

I would not buy M2 now simply because it is older tech. I have an M1 Max and I recently came across the first instance where I need M2 or higher to do something in Apple's Final Cut Pro video editor with their neural engine. I was surprised but that is the way it is. I don't need that particular feature but my M1 Mac is only two and a half years old. It's just an illustration of why it's dodgy to go for older tech at a time when all sorts of AI stuff is coming (I'm not talking generative AI, just functional stuff) as well as other program developments. And you never know what you might want to do in a year or two. 

You're so right. I spoke to Apple and they said minimum I should get is 2TB & I might really want 4TB though that's another $600. I'm definitely looking at an M3 Max with 40 cores and trying to decide between 48 and 96 GB RAM. She said the unified memory is different but it doesn't make it faster than regular 32 GB RAM and if I've had instances where I'm using in the mid 20's of RAM, 32/36 now isn't going to work. I'm thinking especially if I decide to do video, I'll probably go for the 96GB RAM. 

Although 4TB would be great because then I could keep a lot right on my computer,  I got a fast 2TB SSD the other day for $140, so paying $600 for another 2TB on the laptop seems crazy and like you, I want to prioritize memory over internal storage. I can also attach the USB 3.2 SSDs to my tablet and upload stuff that way without having to even take my laptop with me on weekend trips. The new SSDs are the size of a small stack of credit cards and slip easily into one of the padded pockets in my electronics pouch with their short tiny cords. They also don't get very hot even when attached and in use all day. And I can use the Photoshop app on the tablet if I want to process photos with it for any reason when I travel. I guess I'll need to figure out how to use Lightroom Mobile with the tablet. 

While I've been struggling with a slow computer for too long, I'm glad I can get an M3 Max now, so the wait wasn't all bad. I'm not sure even maxing this out will make it last 5 years, so I'm going to use externals I think to at least keep the cost under $5K. Tech is moving so fast it's hard to keep up but this is the cost of doing business. I needed the new Macbook Pro in 2019 when my old one was too slow for the Sony A7rii's 42 MP files. This one worked fine with the A7riv for a while but now it's well past the time to upgrade. 

I'm not going to get a camera with larger files than I have now, so maybe I'll get 5 years out of it. Honestly, If I got another camera I'd probably go for 24MP, with my current laptop, I regret the decision to go for such huge files but with a powerful new machine that will probably change and I'll probably love it. I really like the camera and want to enjoy processing the pix I take with it again . Thanks for your advice.

I don't think you will have any problems with 48GB but I would probably go for the 96GB and stick with 1-2 TB internal storage if it was a choice between  memory or storage. As you say, the new SSDs are very fast and tiny. The internal drive is incredibly fast but I've never come anywhere near needing that sort of speed. 'm hoping to get another couple of years out of mine but who knows - something new might come along that needs a hardware upgrade which now means a new Mac. So far so good though. It has no problem whatsover with anything I've thrown at it in the way of stills - multilayered Photoshop files (rarely now), Denoising 45MP raws, focus stacking, pixel shifting, panos .... 

• Like 1

On 15/07/2024 at 18:40, Marianne said:

I'm in the same boat with my 2019 Macbook Pro with 32GB RAM, n6-Core i9 Intel processor. LR is so slow. I don't do video now but might give it a try, but processing 61GB RAW files from my SonyA7riv is so slow and often crashes my computer. I was away for 2 weeks and haven't culled/reviewed any photos as simply uploading them took ages and my computer seems to grind to a halt when I start looking through them in LR. 

Ironically, I pared down what was on my 2TB internal hard drive before heading out of town and had a mostly empty 1TB fast SSD for the new photos but it gets slower by the second. I think the machine is actually on its way out all of a sudden since everything seems to be slow, whereas for the past several months it was just LR that was slowing down. 

So @Julie Edwards I read and related to your blog, but I want to just buy a laptop to use with my Eizo 27" monitor as well as for travel, prefering to have one computer rather than a desktop and a laptop. And @Normspics I see you want the M3 vs the M2 but I think I've read here that many felt the M2 was nearly as good but I'm not sure if that's the 
Air or the MacbookPro.  I tried searching for other discussions of recent Mackbook purchases but this is the only one I could find, surprisingly.

I've always had MacbookPro's usually replacing them every 3-5 years. (Until around 5 or so years ago, I also had a companion iMac, but I prefer having just one computer and  a monitor instead as noted above).

I'm assuming that the size of my 61MP images from my Sony A7riv is part of the reason that my MacbookPro is mind-numbingly slow so I'm not sure how that influences people's

advice. And I'm not sure if I want to future proof for the next 4-5 years or if I want to spend less and just get a machine that will take me through the next 3 since future  tech needs are so hard to predict.  I spent $4,000 on my current Mac trying to future proof it, and should have replaced it a year ago when it started slowing down. I got dual graphics cards, one of which doesn't work with LR anymore, and when I turn it off, it barely improves things and there's no way to turn the other one one on so instead of facing a similar situation with an uber-pricey laptop, I'm tempted I go for something that's good for just 3 years, spend less and then upgrade sooner vs going overboard & hoping it lasts longer. But even in 3 years who know how much tech will change?

Would love some advice re which processor, how much unified RAM? Prime day deals may mean deals via Apple and B&H too. The folks at Apple never seem to know enough about Adobe products so figured I should go to you guys here.   @MDM and those who took his advice and bought new Macs recently please chime in.

I'm hard on my MACS -  this one has had two new keyboards (a design defect but still...) and a new battery installed right before the extended warranty ended. I usually run PS and LR in tandem with several windows open in Chrome and various other programs at once*. I don't sleep well and spend way too many hours a day on my computer. And I might want to explore video.  (*I currently close everything but LR and it still sputters)

And a question about SSD drives: I'm using a fast 1TB Seagate, a 1TB Gtech and a 1TB SanDisk SSD for my overflow catalog since my 2TB internal SSD long since got too full (It's got 280GB free so it's not crazy full). I want to get another fast little portable drive - the three I have all seem fine but any you'd shy away from? I've read of issues with the SanDisk though it's the only brand I've never had die on me. Any fast tiny SSD you particularly love or hate? 

I'm always concerned about cost given that my photo income took a hit the last few years, but my husband convinced me that it's not worth being frustrated by a computer that isn't up to snuff, so getting it right is more important than getting it cheap, and let's face it, even a basic Mac ain't cheap. 

Oh, and I want a 15". I've had a 17" and a 13" and I much prefer the 15"

Thanks!

Sorry I didn’t see your post earlier, have been away, I got the MacBook Pro M3 14 inch 18GB unified memory and 1TB SSD, I also bought a 32 inch external monitor am very happy so far! I can actually use the new denoise in Photoshop and use Photoshop beta with all the A.I. stuff.