New MacBook Pro

I have a late 2013 MacBook Pro 15 inch monitor and it’s getting slow and I can’t upgrade to the latest O.S. That means I can’t get the latest features from Final Cut Pro X for video editing (I do quite a bit of stock video and YouTube), I just saw that Apple have released a new MacBook Pro this week with the M3 chip, is this time to upgrade or wait for a deal on an M2 machine.

From what I've seen so far, the M3 Pro processor (talking the processor, here, not the MacBook model) isn't a big upgrade over the M2 Pro chip because they reduced the number of performance cores and memory bandwidth, so if you're thinking of M2 Pro vs M3 Pro, I'd go with a deal on the M2 Pro. The base M3 and M3 Max both look like nice upgrades over the same levels as M2s, so in that case I might go with the M3. I'm super happy with my M2 Pro Mac mini; it's really fast for anything I do with it, and my M2 MacBook Air is very speedy, too. Another factor is that since it looks like you hang on to your computers for a long time, you might want to get the best you can to help extend its life. 

Edited by Mark Scheuern
  • Like 1

It's definitely time for an upgrade when your existing machine can't do what you want. I don't know about getting deals on previous models from Apple. Nothing is upgradeable so do make sure whatever you get is well endowed in the unified memory department and prioritise memory over internal storage which is really expensive. External SSDs are way cheaper and can easily handle video and photo editing. I edit 8K raw video on my M1 Max MBP with no problem. You will be amazed running FCPX on any of these M Macs in terms of speed and smoothness.

Edited by MDM
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark Scheuern said:

From what I've seen so far, the M3 Pro processor (talking the processor, here, not the MacBook model) isn't a big upgrade over the M2 Pro chip because they reduced the number of performance cores and memory bandwidth, so if you're thinking of M2 Pro vs M3 Pro, I'd go with a deal on the M2 Pro. The base M3 and M3 Max both look like nice upgrades over the same levels as M2s, so in that case I might go with the M3. I'm super happy with my M2 Pro Mac mini; it's really fast for anything I do with it, and my M2 MacBook Air is very speedy, too. Another factor is that since it looks like you hang on to your computers for a long time, you might want to get the best you can to help extend its life. 

I am leaning towards an M3 machine, as you say I have had this computer a long time, in comparison to all the windows machines I had before this Mac. Thanks for sharing your views Mark.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, MDM said:

It's definitely time for an upgrade when your existing machine can't do what you want. I don't know about getting deals on previous models from Apple. Nothing is upgradeable so do make sure whatever you get is well endowed in the unified memory department and prioritise memory over internal storage which is really expensive. External SSDs are way cheaper and can easily handle video and photo editing. I edit 8K raw video on my M1 Max MBP with no problem. You will be amazed running FCPX on any of these M Macs in terms of speed and smoothness.

Yes it's now getting that Photoshop Beta and FCP have features I can't access or use with the Intel processors I have in this 2013 MacBook. How much would you suggest for unified memory, I'm not as informed on this as I was with separate RAM etc, I am planning to run software on an external SSD.

It depends on what you can afford and what model you are going for as the choice of memory varies with the specific model. I would not go for anything less than 32GB for future proofing. I've not checked the specs of the latest ones in any detail as I have no intention of upgrading mine for some time. I got 64GB in the 14" M1 two years ago when they came out for future proofing and comfort in working. It might be overkill but it is a nice cushion and the machine should last several years. I can run FCP, DaVInci Resolve, Lightroom and Photoshop all at the same time if I want and I've never had an out of memory message even from Resolve which is quite heavy duty.

What codecs/formats are you shooting and editing in? 

Edited by MDM
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, MDM said:

It depends on what you can afford and what model you are going for as the choice of memory varies with the specific model. I would not go for anything less than 32GB for future proofing. I've not checked the specs of the latest ones in any detail as I have no intention of upgrading mine for some time. I got 64GB in the 14" M1 two years ago when they came out for future proofing and comfort in working. It might be overkill but it is a nice cushion and the machine should last several years. I can run FCP, DaVInci Resolve, Lightroom and Photoshop all at the same time if I want and I've never had an out of memory message even from Resolve which is quite heavy duty.

What codecs/formats are you shooting and editing in? 

Thanks! I shoot 4K with Sony XAVCS and Canon IPB edit in ProRes 422 and export H264

Edited by Normspics

1 hour ago, Normspics said:

I am leaning towards an M3 machine, as you say I have had this computer a long time, in comparison to all the windows machines I had before this Mac. Thanks for sharing your views Mark.

You're welcome. Whatever you get, it's going to be a really big upgrade for you. You'll like it a lot. The screens on the MacBook Pro machines are amazing, too. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...